Twitter Change Policy to Prohibit the Sharing of Images or Videos of People without Their Permission
There are some exceptions to the policy that Twitter have said will require consideration before a decision to take action is made. These include media featuring public figures or individuals and accompanying Tweets that are shared in the public interest or add value to public discourse. If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, follow the links to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
Twitter have announced a sweeping new policy change that prohibits users from sharing pictures or videos of people without their permission and have indicated that they are prepared to permanently ban users who violate the new rule.
Although Twitter already have bans in place for the publishing of private information, as they do for sharing private intimate images, the new policy will now cover images and video content of people in regular settings too. This means that anyone can report images or video content of themselves that have been published on Twitter without permission so that they can be taken down.
“Beginning today, we will not allow the sharing of private media, such as images or videos of private individuals without consent. Publishing people’s private info is also prohibited under the policy, as is threatening or incentivizing others to do so.”
The amendment to Twitter’s policy is seen as a positive move by many, as well as clear acknowledgement from the platform that this type of content can be used as a tool to intimidate, harass and reveal personal information about people and that this could potentially lead to emotional or physical harm.
“The misuse and sharing of personal information or images can have a potentially devastating impact. Empowering users with the option to have this type of content removed if it is being used to target them is a huge step forward.”
Dan Raisbeck, Co-founder, The Cybersmile Foundation
There are some exceptions to the policy that Twitter have said will require consideration before a decision to take action is made. These include media featuring public figures or individuals and accompanying tweets that are shared in the public interest or add value to public discourse.
Some critics have asked if Twitter should be the appropriate arbiter of what is in the public interest. The company have stated that it would, “also take into consideration whether the image being shared was publicly available or whether it was being covered by traditional media organizations when deciding whether to remove content.”
If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, we can help you. Visit our Help Center or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to open Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
To learn more about Cybersmile and our work, please explore the following recommendations:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cybersmile Education Program
- TikTok Star Holly H Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- Cybersmile Publish National Gen Z Report Exploring the Prevalence and Emotional Impact of Identity-Based Cyberbullying in the U.S.
- Stop Cyberbullying Day 2021 Highlights
- Cybersmile Launches Global Anti-Bullying Campaign in Partnership with Urban Decay Cosmetics
- Liverpool & England Star Jordan Henderson and Cybersmile team up for ‘People Not Profiles’ Anti-Cyberbullying Campaign
- Cybersmile and CO. by Colgate Hold Roundtable Event to Raise Awareness of Cyberbullying
- Cybersmile and Instagram Partner to #CreateAKinderEnvironment Online
- Cybersmile and Dragon Mania Legends Team Up to Combat Online Bullying and Celebrate Freedom of Expression
- Latin Music Star Samantha Sanchez Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- BT Unveils Hope United Shirt to Raise Funds for Cybersmile
- Renowned U.K. Doctor And Wellbeing Expert Dr Radha Modgil Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile Announce Partnership with CO. by Colgate
- Catching Up with Liverpool and England Star Jordan Henderson to Discuss the Problem of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile and Asphalt 9: Legends Launch ‘Get on the ride, own the future’ NFT Fundraising Campaign
- Cybersmile And Instagram Announce ‘Banter or Bullying? No Offence’ Report And Campaign
- Cybersmile Warns of Rise in Cyberbullying Incidents Involving Doctored Images and Deepfake Videos
- British Government Launch New Online Media Literacy Strategy to Help Internet Users Remain Safe and Informed Online
- Cybersmile Unveil New Website and Brand Identity for Stop Cyberbullying Day
- Instagram Announce New Changes to Protect Users from Abuse
- Cybersmile, Instagram and Cosmopolitan Reunite to Unveil The Positivity Index 2021
- Twitch Introduce New Tools And Guidelines To Tackle Hate Speech And Harassment
- Cybersmile and Ten Toes Media Announce Partnership
- Twitter’s Head of U.K. Public Policy Katy Minshall Talks All Things Safety
- Experts Issue Doomscrolling Warning With Increasing Concerns For Mental Health
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Learning Modules Focused On Getting The Most From Instagram
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2020 Report Focussing On Young People’s Technology-Related Wellbeing
- Twitter Announce New Feature To Tackle Misinformation After Successful Trial
- Cybersmile Launch ‘Think Twice before You Type’ Campaign To Mark Safer Internet Day
- Snapchat Announce The Launch Of Snap Minis To Offer Mental Health Support To Users
- Instagram And Facebook Announce Ban On All Content Promoting LGBT Conversion Therapy
- Cybersmile Help Center
- Managing An Eating Disorder During Lockdown
- Facebook And Instagram Announce New Focus To Combat Racism Online
- Cybersmile Announce Brandon Hendrickson As Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- Australian Government put Big Tech Companies on Notice to End Online Bullying
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Snapchat Announce New Mental Health Intervention Feature
- Gaming Help Center
- Study Links Negative Effects Of Cyberbullying With Serious Mental Health Problems Among Young People
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer