Cybersmile Warns of Rise in Cyberbullying Incidents Involving Doctored Images and Deepfake Videos
The issue of manipulated media has also raised wider concerns regarding the implications of deepfake content contributing to the spread of misinformation and misrepresentation - which can have a powerful impact on the public’s perception of important social issues. If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, follow the links to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
Cybersmile has warned of a sharp increase in the number of reported incidents of cyberbullying that include abusive or derogatory images or videos that have been manipulated using deepfake technologies. The spike in ‘deepfake’ or fake content related incidents was first identified by Cybersmile Assistant, Cybersmile’s AI smart support system.
Fake content of this kind can range from ‘shallowfake’ material such as simple memes with a person’s image being used to mock or humiliate them, to more sophisticated ‘deepfake’ content which uses advanced image manipulation tools to create very realistic fake content that can incorporate genuine news footage, film clips, interviews or inappropriate content to create misleading, fake or potentially offensive and harmful material.
Fake online content is not altogether a new phenomenon, as cropping and pasting images to create harmful or abusive content has always been present as a form of cyberbullying. However, the rise in the number of incidents and also in the level of sophistication indicate that image manipulation and deepfake technologies are developing rapidly and becoming increasingly more accessible to online users, including those wanting to use them for the wrong reasons.
“It is crucial for all internet users to be aware of how deepfake technologies can be used to manipulate context and abuse people online, as the effects of deepfake content can be devastating. We would recommend anyone targeted to report it immediately to the platform where the content is hosted and to reach out to Cybersmile for further support and guidance if required.”
Laura Lewandowski, The Cybersmile Foundation
The issue has also raised wider concerns regarding the implications of deepfake content contributing to the spread of misinformation and misrepresentation – which can have a powerful impact on the public’s perception of important social issues.
Twitter, Meta and Google are among a number of companies already focusing on deepfake material and how best to combat content manipulation. Potential solutions may include more sophisticated manipulation or deepfake detection programs designed to identify content that has been manipulated or faked, or policy changes that directly address the use of deepfake content such as what is permissible and what is not.
If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, we can help you. Visit our Help Center or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to open Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
To learn more about Cybersmile and our work, please explore the following recommendations:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cybersmile Education Program
- TikTok Star Holly H Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- Cybersmile Publish National Gen Z Report Exploring the Prevalence and Emotional Impact of Identity-Based Cyberbullying in the U.S.
- Stop Cyberbullying Day 2021 Highlights
- Cybersmile Launches Global Anti-Bullying Campaign in Partnership with Urban Decay Cosmetics
- Liverpool & England Star Jordan Henderson and Cybersmile team up for ‘People Not Profiles’ Anti-Cyberbullying Campaign
- Cybersmile and CO. by Colgate Hold Roundtable Event to Raise Awareness of Cyberbullying
- Cybersmile and Instagram Partner to #CreateAKinderEnvironment Online
- Cybersmile and Dragon Mania Legends Team Up to Combat Online Bullying and Celebrate Freedom of Expression
- Latin Music Star Samantha Sanchez Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- BT Unveils Hope United Shirt to Raise Funds for Cybersmile
- Renowned U.K. Doctor And Wellbeing Expert Dr Radha Modgil Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile Announce Partnership with CO. by Colgate
- Catching Up with Liverpool and England Star Jordan Henderson to Discuss the Problem of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile And Instagram Announce ‘Banter or Bullying? No Offence’ Report And Campaign
- British Government Launch New Online Media Literacy Strategy to Help Internet Users Remain Safe and Informed Online
- Cybersmile Unveil New Website and Brand Identity for Stop Cyberbullying Day
- Instagram Announce New Changes to Protect Users from Abuse
- Cybersmile, Instagram and Cosmopolitan Reunite to Unveil The Positivity Index 2021
- Twitch Introduce New Tools And Guidelines To Tackle Hate Speech And Harassment
- Cybersmile and Ten Toes Media Announce Partnership
- Twitter’s Head of U.K. Public Policy Katy Minshall Talks All Things Safety
- Experts Issue Doomscrolling Warning With Increasing Concerns For Mental Health
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Learning Modules Focused On Getting The Most From Instagram
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2020 Report Focussing On Young People’s Technology-Related Wellbeing
- Twitter Announce New Feature To Tackle Misinformation After Successful Trial
- Cybersmile Launch ‘Think Twice before You Type’ Campaign To Mark Safer Internet Day
- Snapchat Announce The Launch Of Snap Minis To Offer Mental Health Support To Users
- Instagram And Facebook Announce Ban On All Content Promoting LGBT Conversion Therapy
- Cybersmile Help Center
- Managing An Eating Disorder During Lockdown
- Facebook And Instagram Announce New Focus To Combat Racism Online
- Cybersmile Announce Brandon Hendrickson As Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- Australian Government put Big Tech Companies on Notice to End Online Bullying
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Snapchat Announce New Mental Health Intervention Feature
- Gaming Help Center
- Study Links Negative Effects Of Cyberbullying With Serious Mental Health Problems Among Young People
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer
What are your thoughts on this ‘deepfake’ news? Let us know by contacting us or tweet us @CybersmileHQ.