Stop Cyberbullying Day 2021 Highlights
The event was supported and promoted by a number of brands and celebrities including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Netflix, DreamWorks, Urban Decay, Samsung, TELUS and Jordan Henderson to name a few. If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, follow the links to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
Another year and another huge event! Stop Cyberbullying Day 2021 brought people together from around the world on and offline through a host of events, announcements, discussions, livestreams and fundraisers. This year’s event saw more people than ever before celebrating the day while pledging and demonstrating their commitment to a truly inclusive internet.
There are too many Stop Cyberbullying Day activities around the world to compile a definitive list, so we’ve put together a selection of highlights from the day below:
Brand and institutional support
Stop Cyberbullying Day 2021 saw a host of familiar brands, organizations, governments, media companies and celebrities pledge their support for an inclusive internet.
Influencers and celebrities from the worlds of sport and entertainment used their powerful platforms to raise awareness of the event while offering tips, advice and insights through exclusive interviews and social media posts.
Notable supporters and participants from this year’s event include:
- Social media companies: Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
- Sports & entertainment: DreamWorks, Cartoon Network, Netflix, Fulham FC, Virgin Music Latin, MovieStarPlanet and Ten Toes Media.
- Lifestyle brands: CO. by Colgate, Urban Decay, St. Moriz, Influencer and Brandnation.
- Technology & security: Samsung, Telenor, NordVPN, Telemundo, BT, Millicom, Zurich Insurance, Pentanet, Grameenphone Bangladesh, Tigo Colombia, AIS Thailand, TELUS and Bitdefender.
- Nonprofits & NGOs: UNICEF, United Nations Development Programme, Amanda Todd Legacy, Models of Diversity, Girls Who Code, Anti-Bullying Alliance, Dubai Foundation for Women and Children, Internet Matters, Childline UK, Anti-Bullying Pro and Foundation for Women’s Rights Taiwan.
- Government & law enforcement: EU Commission, Commonwealth Youth, Association of Police and Crime Commissioners England & Wales, Lincolnshire Police UK, Victoria Police Australia, Dubai Court and KHDA Dubai.
- Health & Wellbeing: L.A. County Department of Mental Health, American Veterinary Medical Association, Department of Mental Health Thailand, Huron Perth Public Health and Department of Health Abu Dhabi.
- Education: Miami-Dade County Public Schools, Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Michigan Dept of Education, Ministry of Education New Zealand, Education Ontario, Wake County Public School System and Ontario Ministry of Education.
- And many more!
At this point we want to say a huge thank you to everyone for taking part and supporting the day in your own individual way – we are honored to have your support.
Brand and stakeholder social media conversation
Across social media platforms including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and TikTok – brands and industry stakeholders utilized the power of the internet to inspire and empower their communities to celebrate the event while reminding them to be mindful of their own online interactions. The event was widely supported by a whole host of brands and organizations.
Click on the social handle links below to see the corresponding social media post:
- “The cast of TROLLHUNTERS: RISE OF THE TITANS has an important message on Anti-Cyberbullying Day. Let’s work together to create a safe space for our kids on the internet. And remember #DontFeedTheTrolls” – @netflixfamily
- “Urban Decay believes that in diversity there is beauty and power, and that’s why we are adding our support for a kinder, more inclusive internet by supporting #StopCyberBullyingDay today!” – @UrbanDecay
- “It’s a sad truth that NordVPN’s research team uncovered while preparing for #stopcyberbullyingday: Almost 50% of all young people have been bullied online. And that number is not going down. Here’s what we found.” – @NordVPN
- “Today is #StopCyberBullyingDay. We are joining @CybersmileHQ and others for the call to end #CyberBullying. We believe the internet should be an inclusive space. Now is the time to encourage unity and kindness within our communities online.” – @ComSecYouth
- “#STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY Today, we encourage unity and acceptance online, diverse and inclusive internet # We want you to have trust and feel safe while using internet. EU Cybersecurity Act strengthens Europe’s cybersecurity. Read more 👉” @DigitalEU
- “La Escuela de Influenciadores de UNICEF Colombia y @Tigo_Colombia apoyamos el uso seguro, responsable y creativo de Internet. Únete al #StopCyberbullyingDay incribiéndote en Misión #Ciberconscientes y aprende a ejercer una ciudadanía digital responsable 👉” – @UNICEFColombia
- “Today is #stopcyberbullyingday and we are adding our support for a kinder, more inclusive internet. Learn more here http://stopcyberbullyingday.org.” – @MOEducation
- “Today is #StopCyberbullyingDay! 🙅💻 Learn how tweens experience bullying online and how they stop it from Cartoon Network’s national study created in partnership with the @onlinebullying 👉” – @cartoonnetwork
- “We are fully supporting #StopCyberbullyingDay with @SCDHQ. All online users should feel safe.” – @FulhamFC
- “อยากให้คิดก่อนพูด เพราะสิ่งที่คุณพูดมันจะฝังอยู่กับคนที่ถูก Bully ไปทั้งชีวิต”Stop Cyberbullying Day 18 มิถุนายน 2564 #stopbullying #Bully #STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY” – @PR_dmh
- “CEO of BT’s Consumer division @marcallera has written about how we can all be a better ally for children and everyone else in our digital lives. An important topic on #StopCyberBullyingDay.” – @bt_uk
- “Every month, 1 million youth in Canada experience cyberbullying, but we have the power to change that. Our #TELUSWise team has a few tips to consider when commenting and posting online. Together, let’s make the future friendly. #EndBullying #StopCyberbullyingDay” – @Telus
- “تزامنا مع اليوم العالمي للوقاية من التنمر الإلكتروني قدمت مؤسسة دبي لرعاية النساء والأطفال ورشة افتراضية تخللتها مسابقة تفاعلية لعدد 300 طالب وطالبة تحت عنوان “السلوك الايجابي عبر الانترنت” #اليوم_العالمي_للوقاية_من_التنمر_الإلكتروني #stopcyberbullyingday” – @DFWAC
- “Friday is Stop Cyberbullying Day: #STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY” – @mieducation
- “It’s #StopCyberbullyingDay! As we work towards building a #DigitalOntario, we encourage you to promote kindness and inclusivity online and in virtual learning spaces.” – @ONDigital
- “Today is #STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY. In remembrance #AmandaTodd Legacy, will mark another year missing Amanda. Please help fulfill one of her wishes to end #CyberBullying #EndBullying 💜❄️ #KindnessMatters #Caring4others” – @ToddLegacy
- “Memperingati #StopCyberBullyingDay hari ini, ikuti 5 langkah mudah berikut untuk bersama-sama melawan perundungan dan menjadikan Twitter tempat yang lebih nyaman untuk kita semua” – @TwitterID
- “Today is #StopCyberbullyingDay and we are adding our support for a kinder, more inclusive internet. Victoria Police takes all bullying seriously.” – @VictoriaPolice
- “Being the first line of defense against cyberbullying – a blog by @Millicom EVP, Chief External Affairs Officer @KarimLesina #Millicom #Tigo #STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY
@UNICEF @CybersmileHQ” – @Millicom
- “En la Escuela de Influenciadores de Tigo y @UNICEFColombia promovemos buenas conductas y prácticas digitales en los adolescentes. Hoy, en el #StopCyberbullyingDay, compartimos una idea genial para prevenirlo: ¡Piensa antes de publicar!” – @Tigo_Colombia
- “Bullying can take many different forms. On this, #StopCyberbullyingDay let’s learn how we can all help stop it” – @HPPublicHealth
- “How do I guide my children on dealing with online harm? Should I control their screen time? When do I intervene in their online usage? Child Online Safety experts
@ABrodtkorb & @habiba_sardar share important advice for #StopCyberbullyingDay #Safeguard” – @TelenorGroup
- “Minden év júniusának harmadik péntekje az internetes zaklatás elleni világnap, de mi nem csak ezen a napon tartjuk fontosnak felhívni a figyelmet erre a sokakat érintő témára. #StopCyberbullyingDay” – @Samsung Magyarország
- “Today is Stop Cyberbullying Day and it has never been more important for us all to promote unity and acceptance while speaking out against hate and abuse.” – @lacdmh
- “At MovieStarPlanet we believe that bullying is never ok, not even on the Internet. Put on your #STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY t-shirt and be the change! Together we can make the Internet a kinder, brighter and more inclusive place for everyone.” – @MSP_World
You can explore more of the conversation around Stop Cyberbullying Day by searching #STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and TikTok. Remember, it’s not too late to share a post pledging your support for a kinder, more inclusive internet but be sure to include #STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY so that we can see it!
Now feels like a great place to mention that Cybersmile offer a wide range of support options for issues relating to social media. If you are having any problems and would like a bit of extra help, you can explore our support resources here.
Exclusive Stop Cyberbullying Day interview with Liverpool FC team captain and England player Jordan Henderson
To mark Stop Cyberbullying Day 2021 we published an exclusive interview with Liverpool FC captain and England player Jordan Henderson, who shared his insights into the impact of cyberbullying within the sports community. In his interview, Jordan also shared his thoughts on changes that he would like to see and the line between constructive criticism and outright abuse online. The release of the interview caps off several months of activism from the player, who worked alongside Cybersmile on our recent People Not Profiles campaign. Jordan was recently awarded an MBE for his charity work with the NHS and Cybersmile.
You can read the full interview with Jordan here.
Latin music star Samantha Sanchez announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
On Stop Cyberbullying Day, Cybersmile announced Latin music star Samantha Sanchez as our newest official ambassador. The 20-year-old-singer has a social community of 1 million fans and used the announcement of her new role on Stop Cyberbullying Day to urge people to consider the power of their words online. Having seen the impact of negative online behaviors, Samantha is working with Cybersmile to raise awareness of education and support services offered by Cybersmile throughout Latin and North America. We are excited to welcome Samantha to the Cybersmile team and grateful to her management, Rebeleon Entertainment and Virgin Music Latin for their hard work in aligning Cybersmile and Samantha!
You can read the full Samantha Sanchez announcement article here.
Social community engagement
Never underestimate the power of the people! Stop Cyberbullying Day wouldn’t be the incredible success that it is without the many thousands of meaningful conversations sparked by the event on and offline every year. As in previous years, people from around the world shared inspirational and supportive messages online, promoting positive use of the internet while offering hope and support to those in need.
Click on the social handle links from the examples below to see the corresponding social media posts:
- “Joining you all the way from #Tanzania on #STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY” – @CarolNDosi
- “Year 6 created some Stop Cyber Bullying posters to inform people what to do and where to get help! #STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY
@natonlinesafety @stolavesprep” – @StOlavesYr6
- “I’m SO GRATEFUL for my community members who have helped me to grow & maintain a troll/cyberbullying FREE zone where we can congregate, be comfortable being ourselves and focus on having fun & spreading love! Happy #stopcyberbullyingday everyone and remember #dontfeedthetrools ❤️” – @gaming_w_bix
- “Many feel hopeless after they have been cyberbullied. I want everyone to know I am a safe space and I am here for anyone who needs support or feels they have no where left to turn. You are important and you matter. I will be here for you if you need me. #STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY” – @melgood711
- “We have been really engaged with our #stopcyberbullyingday today. Sorting and identifying different kind and unkind actions as well as coming up with creative designs for our design a badge competition. @stolavesprep” – @StOlavesYr1
- “Touch someone’s heart – by tapping yours. Spread kindness online #STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY @CybersmileHQ” – @SeanAntonioli
- “Wymondham College is supporting #stopcyberbullyingday today because we believe that everybody should be able to enjoy the online world without fear of bullying, harassment and abuse.” – @WymondhamCol
- “Today is #StopCyberBullyingDay!! Always stand tall and be strong, don’t let anyone belittle you!!” – @Heeseungshi1
- “Celebrating #STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY today! What are you doing to prevent cyber bullying in esports?” @Vanta_Zack
- “#STOPCYBERBULLYINGDAY Hoy es el DÍA DE PARAR EL CYBERBULLYING. No lo hagas, no lo dejes hacer, denuncia a quien lo haga, sé solidario con quien lo reciba.” @milous3646
Now feels like another perfect opportunity to mention that Cybersmile offers a range of support options for issues relating to social media. If you are having any problems and would like a bit of extra help, you can explore our support resources here.
Cybersmile launch new interactive education module for positive body image
Stop Cyberbullying Day 2021 saw the launch of a brand new educational module focussing on positive body image which was developed by Cybersmile with the support of self-tanning brand St. Moriz. The module highlights the importance of establishing and maintaining a positive body image while offering tips and advice for key areas including dealing with unrealistic body standards and negative opinions. The interactive module is a valuable addition to the Cybersmile Education Program which educates users of all ages and abilities on various aspects of digital wellbeing.
You can access the educational module focussed on positive body image here.
Cybersmile announce exciting partnership with CO. by Colgate
Cybersmile marked Stop Cyberbullying Day 2021 by announcing the launch of an exciting new partnership with CO. by Colgate. Both founded on the values of inclusivity and authentic self-expression, Cybersmile and CO. by Colgate will work together to raise awareness of online bullying and its impact on the lives of young people.
You can learn more about the Cybersmile x CO. by Colgate partnership by exploring the full announcement article here.
Interview with Katy Minshall, Twitter’s Head of UK Public Policy
As Cybersmile and Twitter enter their 10th year of working together, we caught up with Katy Minshall, Twitter’s Head of UK Public Policy to discuss the impact of the Twitter Trust & Safety Council as well as the importance of online safety and freedom of expression.
You can read the full interview with Katy here.
Notable activations on Stop Cyberbullying Day
This year saw record numbers of meaningful announcements and activations taking place on and offline. From school workshops and Twitch streams right through to political pledges and CSR announcements – people around the world utilized the Stop Cyberbullying Day event to make a difference both in their own communities, and the wider public.
Some examples of this year’s Stop Cyberbullying Day activations include:
- A global call-to-action video from the cast members of “TrollHunters” animation film produced by DreamWorks Animation to help people affected by cyberbullying.
- Twice BAFTA nominated game developer Weather Factory launched an online fundraiser in support of Cybersmile, encouraging its community to support the day.
- Various governments and political figures pledging their support for Stop Cyberbullying Day.
- NordVPN revealed the findings from new cyberbullying research.
- Cartoon Network launched a cyberbullying hub for its viewers.
- European Commission calling for unity and acceptance online.
- Victoria Police in Australia launch resources and videos for online bullying while calling for an inclusive internet.
- Telenor reveals Digital World, a new platform to help youth navigate the internet safely.
- CEO of BT, Marc Allera issues a public letter to its customers about Stop Cyberbullying Day and cyberbullying from a parental perspective.
Creative Awareness Campaign with One Minute Briefs
This year saw a record number of entries in our annual Stop Cyberbullying Day creative campaign alongside One Minute Briefs. In total, more than 250 artworks, posters, memes and illustrations were submitted and shared throughout the day. This year’s winner was Graham Valentine who created this powerful image reminding people to be mindful of the line between polite and rude when interacting online – great work Graham! A big thank you to everybody who participated this year.
Interview With Cybersmile Team Member Doctor Debi Gilboa on Stop Cyberbullying Day
Cybersmile resilience and wellbeing expert Deborah Gilboa, MD, shared her thoughts, tips and expertise for dealing with stress and conflict online.
Read the full interview with Debi here.
A big thank you!
We want to say a MASSIVE thank you to all our partners, ambassadors, friends, brands, supporters, activists, governments, donors and everybody in between for helping make Stop Cyberbullying Day 2021 such a huge success.
We also want to say a very special thank you to Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for their continued support of Stop Cyberbullying Day – THANK YOU!
Get involved next year!
Stop Cyberbullying Day 2022 will take place on Friday June 17th so be sure to get it in your schedule asap!