British Government Launch New Online Media Literacy Strategy to Help Internet Users Remain Safe and Informed Online
To coincide with the launch, Cybersmile’s free open-source education program has been recognized by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport as a useful resource for preventing cyberbullying and helping users to remain safe and informed online. If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, follow the links to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
The UK’s Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport has unveiled its new Online Media Literacy Strategy, which sets out the government’s plan to coordinate media literacy education to empower user to make safer and more informed choices online. The strategy will support the UK’s sector of more than 170 organizations that are working to improve media literacy via a new Media Literacy Framework which outlines best practice principles to inform the content and delivery of media literacy education.
The rise in misinformation and disinformation online and on social media during the global pandemic is a perfect example of how false or misleading online content affects users, with the spread of potentially harmful fake COVID-19 treatments and falsehoods about 5G which led to vandalism of telephone masts in a number of locations.
“False or confused information spread online could threaten public safety and undermine our democracy. Through the Media Literacy Strategy, we will channel the efforts of dedicated UK organisations and bring the fight to fake news by making the young, vulnerable and wider online community more resistant and resilient to it.”
Caroline Dinenage, Minister of State for Digital and Culture
The concerns regarding levels of digital literacy have also been highlighted by findings from a number of studies. According to Ofcom, 40% of adult internet users do not have the skills to critically assess online content, while the National Literacy Trust found that just 2% of children have the critical thinking skills needed to tell fact from fiction online.
“False or confused information can have devastating consequences, both physically and mentally. The Media Literacy Strategy will be key in helping young people to develop the skills needed to identify potentially harmful or inaccurate information and to think more critically about the content they and other people share online.”
Dan Raisbeck, Co-Founder, The Cybersmile Foundation
To coincide with the launch, Cybersmile’s free open-source education program has been recognized by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport as a useful resource for preventing cyberbullying and helping users to remain safe and informed online. In addition to a completely free comprehensive library of lesson plans for schools, Cybersmile’s interactive education program is free to use for everybody including educators and covers a wide range of topics including Body Image, Using Instagram’s Safety Tools, Positive Gaming, LGBT Awareness, Content Authenticity and many more.
If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, we can help you. Visit our Help Center or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to open Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
To learn more about Cybersmile and our work, please explore the following recommendations:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cybersmile Education Program
- TikTok Star Holly H Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- Stop Cyberbullying Day 2021 Highlights
- Liverpool & England Star Jordan Henderson and Cybersmile team up for ‘People Not Profiles’ Anti-Cyberbullying Campaign
- Latin Music Star Samantha Sanchez Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- BT Unveils Hope United Shirt to Raise Funds for Cybersmile
- Renowned U.K. Doctor And Wellbeing Expert Dr Radha Modgil Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile Announce Partnership with CO. by Colgate
- Catching Up with Liverpool and England Star Jordan Henderson to Discuss the Problem of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile And Instagram Announce ‘Banter or Bullying? No Offence’ Report And Campaign
- Cybersmile Unveil New Website and Brand Identity for Stop Cyberbullying Day
- Instagram Announce New Changes to Protect Users from Abuse
- Cybersmile, Instagram and Cosmopolitan Reunite to Unveil The Positivity Index 2021
- Twitch Introduce New Tools And Guidelines To Tackle Hate Speech And Harassment
- Cybersmile and Ten Toes Media Announce Partnership
- Twitter’s Head of U.K. Public Policy Katy Minshall Talks All Things Safety
- Experts Issue Doomscrolling Warning With Increasing Concerns For Mental Health
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Learning Modules Focused On Getting The Most From Instagram
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2020 Report Focussing On Young People’s Technology-Related Wellbeing
- Twitter Announce New Feature To Tackle Misinformation After Successful Trial
- Cybersmile Launch ‘Think Twice before You Type’ Campaign To Mark Safer Internet Day
- Snapchat Announce The Launch Of Snap Minis To Offer Mental Health Support To Users
- Instagram And Facebook Announce Ban On All Content Promoting LGBT Conversion Therapy
- Cybersmile Help Center
- Managing An Eating Disorder During Lockdown
- Facebook And Instagram Announce New Focus To Combat Racism Online
- Cybersmile Announce Brandon Hendrickson As Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- New Report Shows Rise In Severe Cases Of Online Harassment
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Snapchat Announce New Mental Health Intervention Feature
- Gaming Help Center
- Study Links Negative Effects Of Cyberbullying With Serious Mental Health Problems Among Young People
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer
What do you think about this announcement? Share your thoughts by contacting us or tweet us @CybersmileHQ.