Cybersmile and Instagram Partner to #CreateAKinderEnvironment and Mark Anti-Bullying Week
The recipe for a kinder online environment will be shared by inspiring creators including Dr Alex George, Megan Jayne Crabbe and Nikki Lilly, with the purpose of encouraging young people to follow the advice and #CreateAKinderEnvironment online. Social media users will also be encouraged to share the cake emoji as a symbol of their support for a kinder online environment. If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, follow the links to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
Cybersmile have teamed up with Instagram to launch a new campaign encouraging young people to #CreateAKinderEnvironment online to mark Anti-Bullying Week 2021.
Styled as the ultimate recipe to #CreateAKinderEnvironment (C.A.K.E. for short), Cybersmile and Instagram have collaborated with Dr Barbara Mariposa, a mental health and wellbeing expert, to educate teens on all the necessary ingredients to cook up and serve kindness online. The ‘recipe’ offers advice from Cybersmile on how best to reach out and be an ally, as well as highlighting the safety tools available on Instagram to keep everyone protected while encouraging a positive online environment.
The recipe will be shared by inspiring UK creators including Dr Alex George, Megan Jayne Crabbe and Nikki Lilly, with the purpose of encouraging young people to follow the advice and #CreateAKinderEnvironment online. Social media users will also be encouraged to share the cake emoji as a symbol of their support for a kinder online environment. The overarching message will be that by standing together and taking small actions, we all have the power to build a kinder environment on social media; replacing the unwanted interactions that can get people down, with simple acts of kindness that could lift people up instead.
“We want Instagram to remain a place where young people can go to connect with friends, be part of a community, and explore their interests. We’re committed to helping young people take control of what they see and do online, and give parents and carers the tools to be part of these important conversations. We are proud to partner with our friends at Cybersmile to mark Anti-Bullying Week and Create A Kinder Environment for everyone. By standing together, we can help replace the unwanted interactions that can get people down, with simple acts of kindness that could lift people up instead.”
Tara Hopkins, Instagram’s Director of Public Policy at Meta
Cybersmile CEO Scott Freeman said: “Through the C.A.K.E. campaign, we want to inspire everyone to stand together and take action against online bullying. Whether it’s sending a simple DM to let someone being targeted know they’re not alone, or directing them to Cybersmile if they need further support, by working together we can make all of our feeds a friendlier place.”
Dr Mariposa said: “It is impossible to understate the power of showing support and standing as one with someone you can see is being bullied. By showing support, offered appropriately and with care, this can be the difference in helping the person stand firm and not get beaten down. Even the smallest act of kindness can make a world of difference. So don’t stand by. Reach out and stand alongside.”
Cybersmile’s tips on what to do if you see someone being bullied online
- If you think someone is being bullied, reach out to them. Let them know they’re not alone and it’s not their fault. Just knowing that someone cares enough to see if they’re OK could save a life.
- Use words like “I’m here for you” or “we’ll get through this together.” Let them know it’s not their fault in any way, it’s the bully who’s projecting through those behaviours.
- Point them to the Instagram Help Centre for safety tips and tools to give them control over their experience, or steer them to Cybersmile for additional support.
An overview of Instagram’s anti-bullying measures
- Message controls: Limit who can send you Direct Messages and add you to group chats.
- Close Friends: Share your Stories with only the people on that list.
- Restrict mode: Restrict specific accounts so comments from that person are only visible to them.
- Block: Stop accounts you don’t want to interact with from contacting you.
- Comment controls: Take control of who can comment on your photos and videos.
- Report: Bullying is against our rules. Let Instagram know about an account, photo, video, comment, or message that is intended to bully.
Cybersmile and Instagram are committed to helping young people stay safe and protected online. Instagram provide a range of tools to manage privacy, comments and time spent online. For more information about Instagram tools, visit the Instagram Help Centre.
If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, we can help you. Visit our Help Center or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to open Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
To learn more about Cybersmile and our work, please explore the following recommendations:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cybersmile Education Program
- TikTok Star Holly H Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- Cybersmile Publish National Gen Z Report Exploring the Prevalence and Emotional Impact of Identity-Based Cyberbullying in the U.S.
- Stop Cyberbullying Day 2021 Highlights
- Cybersmile Launches Global Anti-Bullying Campaign in Partnership with Urban Decay Cosmetics
- Liverpool & England Star Jordan Henderson and Cybersmile team up for ‘People Not Profiles’ Anti-Cyberbullying Campaign
- Cybersmile and CO. by Colgate Hold Roundtable Event to Raise Awareness of Cyberbullying
- Cybersmile and Dragon Mania Legends Team Up to Combat Online Bullying and Celebrate Freedom of Expression
- Latin Music Star Samantha Sanchez Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- BT Unveils Hope United Shirt to Raise Funds for Cybersmile
- Renowned U.K. Doctor And Wellbeing Expert Dr Radha Modgil Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile Announce Partnership with CO. by Colgate
- Catching Up with Liverpool and England Star Jordan Henderson to Discuss the Problem of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile And Instagram Announce ‘Banter or Bullying? No Offence’ Report And Campaign
- British Government Launch New Online Media Literacy Strategy to Help Internet Users Remain Safe and Informed Online
- Cybersmile Unveil New Website and Brand Identity for Stop Cyberbullying Day
- Instagram Announce New Changes to Protect Users from Abuse
- Cybersmile, Instagram and Cosmopolitan Reunite to Unveil The Positivity Index 2021
- Twitch Introduce New Tools And Guidelines To Tackle Hate Speech And Harassment
- Cybersmile and Ten Toes Media Announce Partnership
- Twitter’s Head of U.K. Public Policy Katy Minshall Talks All Things Safety
- Experts Issue Doomscrolling Warning With Increasing Concerns For Mental Health
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Learning Modules Focused On Getting The Most From Instagram
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2020 Report Focussing On Young People’s Technology-Related Wellbeing
- Twitter Announce New Feature To Tackle Misinformation After Successful Trial
- Cybersmile Launch ‘Think Twice before You Type’ Campaign To Mark Safer Internet Day
- Snapchat Announce The Launch Of Snap Minis To Offer Mental Health Support To Users
- Instagram And Facebook Announce Ban On All Content Promoting LGBT Conversion Therapy
- Cybersmile Help Center
- Managing An Eating Disorder During Lockdown
- Facebook And Instagram Announce New Focus To Combat Racism Online
- Cybersmile Announce Brandon Hendrickson As Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- Australian Government put Big Tech Companies on Notice to End Online Bullying
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Snapchat Announce New Mental Health Intervention Feature
- Gaming Help Center
- Study Links Negative Effects Of Cyberbullying With Serious Mental Health Problems Among Young People
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer