JoJo Siwa Announced as January’s Cybersmiler of the Month Award Winner
JoJo’s 'coming out' has been described as ‘unprecedented’ by LGBTQ+ advocates and supporters who are in awe of her bravery and the incredible impact she has had on the young people who make up a large part of her audience. If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, follow the links to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
Cybersmile are proud to announce singer, dancer, actress and YouTube star JoJo Siwa as the first Cybersmiler of the Month Award winner of 2021. JoJo joins the likes of Lindsey Vonn, Daisy Edgar-Jones and John Legend in the Cybersmile hall of fame for her bravery in opening up publicly about her sexuality and empowering millions of people to be proud of their own sexual identity.
The powerful event occurred after she posted a lip-sinking dance video to Lady Gaga’s iconic track ‘Born This Way’ to her millions of fans on social media. Although many of her fans already knew what this meant – responding instantly with a wave of support and joyous celebration, the star later went on to confirm her coming out announcement in a follow up video on Instagram – thanking her fans for their love and support, and offering inspiration to young people all over the world.
“I think coming out has this stigma around it, that it’s a really, really, really scary thing. It’s not anymore. There are so many accepting and loving people out there. Of course people are gonna say it’s not normal, but it’s your normal.”
JoJo Siwa, Cybersmiler of the Month
JoJo’s amazing ‘coming out’ has been described as ‘unprecedented’ by LGBTQ+ advocates and supporters who are in awe of her bravery and also the incredible impact she has had on the young elementary schoolers who make up a large part of her audience.
My cousin got me a new shirt pic.twitter.com/DuHhgRto7b
— JoJo Siwa!🌈❤️🎀 (@itsjojosiwa) January 22, 2021
Traci Gillig, Assistant Professor at Washington State University who studies the impacts of LGBTQ+ representation on young people commented on the phenomenal online event saying – “JoJo’s pride in her identity and her confidence in shrugging off negative responses indicates that her social media presence will foster a sense of supportive community for LGBTQ youth, she’s one more voice – and a big one – communicating to young LGBTQ people that they are loved.”
“The impact of JoJo’s video is truly phenomenal. She has single-handedly made this life-changing announcement to the world in her own unique way – connecting authentically with her audience. The huge outpouring of love and support she has received shows us how important meaningful LGBTQ+ conversations are to young people.”
Dan Raisbeck, Co-founder, The Cybersmile Foundation
Everybody at Cybersmile HQ are proud of JoJo’s bravery and are excited to start 2021 by awarding her the much-deserved Cybersmiler of the Month title for the month of January.
You can explore the Cybersmiler of the Month Award winners Hall of Fame to see a full list of previous recipients and learn more about becoming a brand sponsor of the award here.
If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, we can help you. Visit our Help Center or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to open Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
To learn more about Cybersmile and our work, please explore the following recommendations:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cybersmile Education Program
- Britain’s Biggest TikTok Star Holly H Announced As Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- Cybersmile Campaign And Activity Highlights From 2020
- Cybersmile And Nerds Team Up To Launch Nerds World Within Nintendo’s Animal Crossing
- Renowned U.K. Doctor And Wellbeing Expert Dr Radha Modgil Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile And Instagram Announce ‘Banter or Bullying? No Offence’ Report And Campaign
- Twitch Introduce New Tools And Guidelines To Tackle Hate Speech And Harassment
- Experts Issue Doomscrolling Warning With Increasing Concerns For Mental Health
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Learning Modules Focused On Getting The Most From Instagram
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2020 Report Focussing On Young People’s Technology-Related Wellbeing
- Twitter Announce New Feature To Tackle Misinformation After Successful Trial
- Snapchat Announce The Launch Of Snap Minis To Offer Mental Health Support To Users
- Instagram And Facebook Announce Ban On All Content Promoting LGBT Conversion Therapy
- Cybersmile Help Center
- Managing An Eating Disorder During Lockdown
- Facebook And Instagram Announce New Focus To Combat Racism Online
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- Cybersmile, Cosmopolitan And Instagram Team Up To Launch The Positivity Index
- Cybersmile Experiences 900% Increase In People Seeking Help For Chatroulette Related Issues
- Cybersmile Offers Free Digital Education And Support In Response To Coronavirus Crisis
- How To Stay Positive During Lockdown And Self-Isoloation
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- Report Shows Rise In Severe Cases Of Online Harassment
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Snapchat Announce New Mental Health Intervention Feature
- Gaming Help Center
- Study Links Negative Effects Of Cyberbullying With Serious Mental Health Problems Among Young People
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer