Darius Brown Announced As Winner of Cybersmiler of the Month Award for April
Darius' bow tie donation quickly caught the attention of the media and also the many pet shelters across the country and around the world. He now spends much of his free time at the sewing machine - setting himself a target of sending a box to each and every US state.
We are proud to announce 14-year-old Darius Brown as the very worthy winner of April’s Cybersmiler of the Month Award.
The big-hearted teenager went the extra mile after hearing about the plight of hundreds of dogs & cats being moved to local shelters following the devastation of Hurricane Irma. To help out, Darius decided to donate a box of his own handmade pet-size bow ties to New York City’s ASPCA animal shelter – so that the animals could wear to make them stand out to potential adopters.
“It hurt my feelings a lot so I made my mission to help as many dogs and cats in the world as I possibly can. Because I was making bow ties at the time, I just thought that if people look good in bow ties, why not dogs and cats?”
Darius Brown, Cybersmiler of the Month
Darius, dubbed ‘Sir’ Darius from a young age for his smart appearance and penchant for wearing bow-ties, starting making his own neck-wear at the age of eight. Having been diagnosed with cognitive speech delay and fine motor skills delay at a young age, his mother Jo was initially anxious to let Darius practice sewing skills. But his enthusiasm won the family over and with the help of his sister, Dazhai, Darius set about learning how to make bow ties by hand.
“Because of this I felt like it would be better to wait, but I never wanted him to feel like he was different, so eventually, I got him some safety scissors and he got to work, and now he does amazing work with the sewing machine.”
Darius’ bow tie donation quickly caught the attention of the media and also the many pet shelters across the country and around the world. He now spends much of his free time at the sewing machine – setting himself a target of sending a box to each and every US state.
Everyone at Cybersmile would like to say a huge WELL DONE for such an inspirational and heart-warming act of kindness, and to warmly welcome ‘Sir’ Darius Brown as our newest member of the Cybersmiler of the Month Award Winners Hall of Fame.
You can explore the Cybersmiler of the Month Award winners Hall of Fame to see a full list of previous recipients and learn more about becoming a brand sponsor of the award here.
If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, we can help you. Visit our Help Center or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to open Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
To learn more about Cybersmile and our work, please explore the following recommendations:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cybersmile Education Program
- TikTok Star Holly H Announced As Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- Cybersmile Campaign And Activity Highlights From 2020
- Liverpool & England Star Jordan Henderson and Cybersmile team up for ‘People Not Profiles’ Anti-Cyberbullying Campaign
- Cybersmile And Nerds Team Up To Launch Nerds World Within Nintendo’s Animal Crossing
- Renowned U.K. Doctor And Wellbeing Expert Dr Radha Modgil Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile And Instagram Announce ‘Banter or Bullying? No Offence’ Report And Campaign
- Cybersmile Unveil New Website and Brand Identity for Stop Cyberbullying Day
- TikTok Announce New Feature to Combat Cyberbullying and Abuse
- Instagram Announce New Changes to Protect Users from Abuse
- Cybersmile, Instagram and Cosmopolitan Reunite to Unveil The Positivity Index 2021
- Twitch Introduce New Tools And Guidelines To Tackle Hate Speech And Harassment
- Experts Issue Doomscrolling Warning With Increasing Concerns For Mental Health
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Learning Modules Focused On Getting The Most From Instagram
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2020 Report Focussing On Young People’s Technology-Related Wellbeing
- Twitter Announce New Feature To Tackle Misinformation After Successful Trial
- Cybersmile Launch ‘Think Twice before You Type’ Campaign To Mark Safer Internet Day
- Snapchat Announce The Launch Of Snap Minis To Offer Mental Health Support To Users
- Instagram And Facebook Announce Ban On All Content Promoting LGBT Conversion Therapy
- Cybersmile Help Center
- Managing An Eating Disorder During Lockdown
- Facebook And Instagram Announce New Focus To Combat Racism Online
- Cybersmile Announce Brandon Hendrickson As Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- Cybersmile Experiences 900% Increase In People Seeking Help For Chatroulette Related Issues
- Cybersmile Offers Free Digital Education And Support In Response To Coronavirus Crisis
- How To Stay Positive During Lockdown And Self-Isoloation
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- New Report Shows Rise In Severe Cases Of Online Harassment
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Snapchat Announce New Mental Health Intervention Feature
- Gaming Help Center
- Study Links Negative Effects Of Cyberbullying With Serious Mental Health Problems Among Young People
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer