What is Line?
Line is a free to download, instant communication app allowing users to contact one another through the use of a ‘User ID’ which is created when setting up your account. Unlike other instant messaging services such as Kik, Line requires a cellphone number in order to authenticate your account by sending you a verification code you need to enter into the app before completely setting up your account.
Once your account is created, you can search for other users by the User ID they have chosen. You can have one-on-one conversations as well as setting up group conversations with multiple people. In addition to talking to friends, you also have something called a ‘Timeline’ in which you can upload images, post statuses and see updates from your friends on the app. You also have the option to upload a display image that all your friends using the app will be able to see.
While using the app, you can download and use themes and stickers, personalizing the app to your preferences. Some of these are free and others, you have to pay for.
Age Restrictions For Using Line
The minimum age to use Line is 16 years old. It is not uncommon for users of the platform to be underage.
How to block a user on Line
- To block a user, enter your chat with them.
- Locate the downward-facing arrow symbol in the top right corner of the screen and select it.
- A drop-down menu should appear within the chat. Locate the block button in the top right corner of the menu. The symbol should look like a circle with a diagonal line going through the center of it. It should also say ‘Block’ underneath the symbol.
- Select the ‘Block’ button.
- Once selected, the user should be blocked immediately. A good indication of this is that it should say ‘Blocked’ in the bottom left corner of the screen.
How to report a user on Line
- To report a user, go to your chat with the user.
- Once on the chat, locate and select the downward-facing arrow symbol in the top right corner of the screen.
- Once selected, a drop-down menu should appear within the chat. Locate the ‘Settings’ button in the bottom right of the menu. The symbol should look like a small, singular cog and say ‘Settings’ underneath.
- When you have selected the ‘Settings’ button, a new page will appear with the chat settings. Choose the ‘Report’ button.
- Once you have selected the ‘Report’ button, a pop-up will appear asking you to select an option from a list of possible reasons as to why you are reporting this user. Choose what you feel most identifies with the reason you are reporting the user.
How to mute a conversation on Line
- To mute a chat, hold down on the chat you would like to mute.
- Once you have held it down, a preview of the chat should appear. When it does, swipe the preview up.
- When you swipe up the conversation, a menu should appear at the bottom of the screen. Select the ‘Mute button’ option.