What is Ask.fm?
Ask.fm is a social networking platform which enables users to create profiles and send anonymous questions to other people. The users asking the questions can choose either to display their own profile information, or ask questions anonymously – the questions and answers can be viewed on a user’s profile page. Users can also post photos, videos and GIFs in response to questions.
Users of Ask.fm are meant to be 13 and over but it is not uncommon for people below the age of 13 to make accounts and openly use them.
How to deal with cyberbullying and abuse on Ask.fm
On Ask.fm you can use blocking, reporting and filtering tools to remove abusive behavior from your profile. If you are being cyberbullied or harassed on Ask.fm you can learn more about dealing with cyberbullying or find out how our Global Support Service can help you.
How to block someone on Ask.fm
- Click on the symbol in the top right corner of a person’s profile. The symbol should look like a circle with a line positioned diagonally through the center of it.
- Once you have selected the block button, a small pop-up will appear on your screen explaining what will happen after you have blocked the user.
- If you still want to proceed with blocking the user, at the bottom of the pop-up, just select the option that states: “Yes, I want to block this user.”
- Once you have selected that option, they should be blocked.
How to report someone on Ask.fm
- To report a user, select the flag symbol in the top left corner of their profile.
- Once you have selected it, a small pop-up will appear on the screen in which it will give a brief explanation of the reporting process along with some options.
- Read through the options and select the one that best describes the reason they should be reported. This will help Ask.fm identify the seriousness and priority of the report.
- After you have selected an option from the menu, another small pop-up will appear asking if as well as reporting the user, you would like to block them. If you would like to block them then select the option “Yes, I want to block this user,” and if you don’t then select the option “No, I just want to report.”
- Regardless of whether you decide to block the user, they will still be reported.
- Once you have selected an answer, the user will be reported and blocked if that is the option you selected.
How to turn off anonymous questions on Ask.fm
- To filter and adjust your settings to disable anonymous questions, in the very top right corner of the website, there should be an icon that looks similar to a cog with a drop down menu, click on that and it will take you to your settings.
- Once in your settings, scroll down until you come to a set of boxes you can check and uncheck.
- There should be one that says “Allow anonymous questions.” It comes as pre-set option but to remove it, just select the box that is checked. It should become a clear white box where the check was previously.
- Once you have unchecked the box and adjusted your settings, scroll to the very bottom where you will find a ‘save’ and ‘cancel’ button.
- Click the ‘save’ button and your adjustments should be saved.