What is Instagram?
Instagram is a social media platform dedicated to sharing photos publicly, offering users the opportunity to alter and/or manipulate their images before sharing them. People can do this by adding filters, using blurring effects to give a focused illusion and special frames. Users are able to follow other people’s accounts and view their posts in a general feed. When you create an account on Instagram, it is public by default, meaning anyone can view your posts as well as likes and comments on your posts. Your account’s privacy can be adjusted so only people you allow can view the content on your profile. The ‘Explore’ feature can be used to search Instagram for certain users and hashtags.
As well as the platform being used to share images, users can also upload short videos. After uploading images or videos, users can add a caption and hashtags; making it easier for their posts to be found through the ‘explore’ function. When uploading a post, users get the opportunity to tag other Instagram users. Once tagged, the user will receive a notification that they have been included in that post.
Instagram also offers a ‘Direct’ function, allowing users to send messages and share images or videos directly with specific users without having to share them publicly via their personal profile. Messages from people that you are following will go straight into your inbox whereas, messages from people who you don’t follow will go into a separate inbox where they have to be confirmed by you in order to make further contact with you.
The platform also offers a ‘Story’ feature which allows the user to upload an image for 24 hours, available to view from the top of someone’s news feed. Similar to Snapchat, you can apply filters, add writing and tag people in it.
Although the platform can be used through the internet, without the use of the app, you are unable to upload images or videos.
Instagram age restrictions
How to deal with cyberbullying and abuse on Instagram
Instagram offer various options of blocking, reporting and filtering abusive and inappropriate content.
How to block a user on Instagram
- Go on to the profile of the person you want to block.
- Once on their profile, locate the ‘…’ button. On an internet browser, this should be located next to the ‘follow’ button. On the app, this should be in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select the ‘…’ button.
- Once you have selected the ‘…’ button, a drop-down menu should appear. Select the ‘Block user’ button.
- When you have pressed the ‘Block user’ option, a second pop-up will appear. It will explain what happens after the user has been blocked and gives you the option to block them or cancel your action. If you want to block them select the ‘Block’ option. If you don’t, choose the ‘cancel’ button.
- If you chose to block the user, this should be effective immediately.
To delete or report an abusive or inappropriate comment on Instagram using iOS
Without using the app, you are unable to remove comments from your posts.
- To delete or report a comment, go to the post the comment was made on.
- Locate the comment and swipe left.
- When you have swiped left on the comment, symbols should show towards the right of the comment. To delete the comment, locate the symbol of a trash can. To report a comment, locate the symbol which is an exclamation mark inside an octagon.
- Depending on whether you want to delete or report a comment, select the appropriate symbol.
- If you want to report the comment then follow the on-screen instructions. Whatever action you choose to take should be effective immediately.
To delete or report an abusive or inappropriate Instagram comment using Android
- Tap below the image.
- Select the comment or caption you want to delete.
- Choose if you want to just ‘Delete Comment’ or ‘Delete Comment and Report Abuse’.
How to report a post on Instagram
- To report a post, go to and open the post you wish to report.
- Once you have opened the post, locate the ‘…’ button. On web browsers you should find this in the bottom right corner of the posts, near the comments. If you are using the app then it should be in the top right corner of the post.
- Select the ‘…’ button.
- Once you have pressed the ‘…’ button, a pop-up will appear, select the ‘Report’ option.
- When you have selected the ‘Report’ button, another pop-up will appear. This will ask you to choose a reason why you feel the post is inappropriate. This is so Instagram can address the problem effectively.
- Select the reason that is most in line with the reason you are reporting the post.
How to report an account on Instagram
- To report a user, go to their profile.
- Once you are on their profile, locate the ‘…’ button. On website browsers, this should be located next to the ‘follow’ button. On the app, you will find this in the top right corner of the page.
- Select the ‘…’ button.
- Once selected, click on the ‘Report’ button.
- When you have selected the ‘Report’ button, a pop-up should appear on the screen asking you to give a reason as to why you feel the account is inappropriate.
- Select the reason you feel best identifies with the reason you are reporting the account.
How to report cyberbullying or abuse/harassment on Instagram
If you are made aware of an account being used to cyberbully or harass users of the platform, you can make a report by filling out this form.