Examples Of Bad Netiquette
- Not including context – When commenting on a message thread or existing post, it is considered bad netiquette to not include relevant information from the original post in order to add context to your comment. This can make it confusing for other users.
- Not proof reading – By not reading what you have wrote before pressing ‘post’ or ‘send’, you could be saying something you didn’t intend to say! One typo or auto-correct is all it takes to change the entire sentiment of a message. This can potentially cause unnecessary distress or offense to the recipient.
- Inappropriate jokes – It is considered bad netiquette to make jokes that would be deemed as inappropriate by others, especially when replying to a thread of messages or comments on an existing post. Making jokes that could offend others or placing a joke on an existing thread that has upsetting or distressing content would be considered inappropriate.
- Ignoring people who need help – If someone asks you directly for help online, it would be deemed bad netiquette to ignore their request for help. Even if you can’t assist them directly with their problem, you could try and find some information or support groups that are able to help them with their situation.
- Spamming others – It can be difficult to get noticed when using social media and online forums, especially when it comes to companies managing their customer services through social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook. The temptation to send continuous messages until you gain the attention of the company can be overwhelming – but it is deemed bad netiquette to send a chain of continuous messages to any company or individual online. This behavior can actually have consequences such as being banned from social media platforms or banned from messaging people within the platform you are using.
- Catfishing – It is considered bad netiquette to pretend to be someone else by using photos of another person or lying about your identity to others. Catfishing can cause serious psychological harm to the victim and can potentially destroy any relationships or friendships that have been made.
- Not allowing others to express themselves – Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not allowing someone their right to an opinion is bad netiquette. Even if you disagree with their thoughts and opinions, it is important to let them express themselves.
- Using capital letters all the time – When we want to express emphasis on something, it can prove especially difficult online and occasionally we use capital letters to get our point across. Although it can be effective, if you always use capitals it can make people believe you’re annoyed or shouting at them.
- Not respecting people’s privacy – It is deemed bad netiquette to share any information about someone else online without permission to do so. Even if they share that information themselves, you should always check. Not only is it considered as bad netiquette but it could also be considered doxing.
- Arguing with people – When commenting on threads of messages, it can be easy to let your thoughts and opinions get the better of you where you end up arguing with someone over contrasting views. Different opinions are fine – that is what makes the internet so great, but it is considered bad netiquette to insult other people because of their opinion. This behavior can result in you being banned from the social media platform all together.