Increase In Fake Reviews Seriously Affecting Companies Of All Sizes
With up to 90% of consumers routinely consulting online reviews before making purchases, online reviews have become a major headache for those businesses targeted by fake reviews intent on damaging their reputation. Fake reviews can have a devastating effect on the lives of those people financially dependant on the businesses being targeted. If you need help with issues relating to fake reviews, follow the links to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
Leading review website TripAdvisor’s inaugural annual transparency report has revealed that in 2018 it removed or blocked 1.8 million fake reviews from public view. Although this represents only 2% of overall posts on the popular consumer review platform, it is enough, experts warn, to have a significant impact on large and small businesses – and the lives of those people that depend on them.
With up to 90% of consumers routinely consulting online reviews before making purchases, online reviews have become a major headache for those businesses targeted by fake reviews intent on damaging their reputation, which can cost large companies millions in lost revenue or ruin small businesses and their owners overnight. The power this ‘social proofing’ has to influence potential customers means that businesses now need to pay serious attention to how they can manage and respond to online reviews.
“The effect of fake reviews should not be underestimated. In particular, for small businesses owners and those dependant on them, it can be financially and emotionally devastating.”
Dan Raisbeck, Co-founder, The Cybersmile Foundation
However, the problem is not just about made-up accounts of food poisoning, appalling customer service or sub-standard workmanship aimed at destroying a business, it is also about fake reviews that inflate or exaggerate the quality of a product or service, bringing into doubt the credibility of review-based platforms, as well as the reputation of businesses they review. According to the report over 90% of reviews blocked or removed in 2018 were fake positive reviews.
“Even one inauthentic review is one too many. We have clear participation guidelines for both reviewers and selling partners and we suspend, ban, and take legal action on those who violate our policies.”
The report also revealed that 73% of fake reviews on TripAdvisor were found and removed by machine detection, alongside human moderation and community flagging which are also being used to address the increasing tide of fake reviews. Other large companies are also stepping up to fight the tide of fake content, including Amazon, who have started taking legal action against sellers using fake reviews.
If you are affected by fake reviews, we can help you. Explore our tips for managing your reputation, visit our Cyberbullying Help Center or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to open Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant. For further information about Cybersmile and the work we do, please explore the following suggestions:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cyberbullying And Online Abuse Help Center
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- World Leaders And Technology Companies Pledge To Fight Online Hate Speech
- Cybersmile And Claire’s Partner For Bullying Prevention Month Campaign
- Studies Reveal Stark Contrast Between Teenage Male And Female Cyberbullying Incidents
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- Catching Up With Zoe Sugg To Discuss Life Online
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Florida Mandates Mental Health Learning In Schools
- Stop Cyberbullying Day 2019 Highlights
- Cybersmile And Rimmel Launch Groundbreaking AI Support Assistant
- Gaming Help Center
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Digital Civility Learning Platform
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Cybersmile Wins Gold At Cannes Lions For Body Positivity Campaign
- Cybersmile To Make All Educational Workshops Completely Free For Everybody
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer
What do you think about the growing problem of fake reviews? Share your thoughts by contacting us or tweet us @CybersmileHQ.