Ubisoft and Riot Games Join Forces to Tackle Toxic Game Chats
The collaboration between Ubisoft and Riot Games has broken new ground, being the first-time independent video game companies have come together to openly share internal data related to toxic interactions. If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, follow the links to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
Ubisoft and Riot Games have announced a new initiative called ‘Zero Harms in Comms’ to tackle abusive and potentially harmful chat in gaming.
The main objective of the project is to collect in-game data that can be used to provide better training for AI-based automated moderation. A study taken in 2021 by cross-platform game engine Unity found that 68% of players say they have experienced forms of toxicity including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, hate speech, threats of violence and doxing.
“What we’re trying to do is, based on the type of games that we have, the different kinds of communities and games that we are operating, we’re trying to find a common practical solution to solve one key aspect.”
Yves Jacquier, Executive Director, Ubisoft
It is hoped that the combination of Riot’s highly competitive games and Ubisoft’s very diversified portfolio can help to create a comprehensive database of toxic or disruptive behaviors that will enhance the training of AI moderation systems. Both companies are also committed to sharing the learnings and outcomes of the project with the wider gaming industry next year.
“Disruptive player behavior is an issue that we take very seriously but also one that is very difficult to solve. At Ubisoft, we have been working on concrete measures to ensure safe and enjoyable experiences, but we believe that, by coming together as an industry, we will be able to tackle this issue more effectively.”
Yves Jacquier, Executive Director, Ubisoft
The collaboration between Ubisoft and Riot Games has also broken new ground as it’s the first-time independent gaming companies have come together to openly share internal data related to toxic interactions.
“We’re hoping this partnership allows us to safely share data between our companies to tackle some of these harder. By sharing data, we’re actually building a bigger pool of training data, and we will be able to really detect this disruptive behavior and ultimately remove it from our games.”
Wesley Kerr, Director of Software Engineering, Riot Games
Both active members of the Fair Play Alliance, Ubisoft and Riot Games believe that the creation of safe and meaningful online experiences in games can only come through collective action and shared knowledge. Hopefully, this initiative will serve as the foundation for creating gaming structures that foster more rewarding online experiences and reduce potentially harmful or disruptive interactions.
If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, we can help you. Visit our Help Center or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to open Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
To learn more about Cybersmile and our work, please explore the following recommendations:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cybersmile Education Program
- Cybersmile Announce Hollywood Actress Garcelle Beauvais as Official Ambassador
- Stop Cyberbullying Day 2022 Highlights
- TikTok Star Holly H Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2022 Report Examining the Impact of Social Media on Gen Z Wellbeing in the U.K.
- Cybersmile Publish National Gen Z Report Exploring the Prevalence and Emotional Impact of Identity-Based Cyberbullying in the U.S.
- Cybersmile Launch “Sharezees” Campaign with Top Influencers to Discourage Password Sharing
- Cybersmile and EE Announce Fundraising Campaign to Mark UEFA Women’s Euros 2022
- Cybersmile Announce Canadian Formula One Driver Nicholas Latifi as New Official Ambassador
- Premier League Footballers Team Up with Cybersmile to Highlight the Real-Life Consequences of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile Partners with BT to Launch Education Platform for Young People to Tackle Online Hate
- Mental Health, Wellbeing and Equity Expert Dr Barbara Mariposa Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile and Urban Decay Launch Global “WORDS HURT IRL” Campaign Featuring Ava Michelle
- Cybersmile and Urban Decay Launch Changemaker Education and Empowerment Program
- Liverpool & England Star Jordan Henderson and Cybersmile team up for ‘People Not Profiles’ Anti-Cyberbullying Campaign
- Cybersmile and CO. by Colgate Hold Roundtable Event to Raise Awareness of Cyberbullying
- Cybersmile and Instagram Partner to #CreateAKinderEnvironment Online
- Cybersmile and Dragon Mania Legends Team Up to Combat Online Bullying and Celebrate Freedom of Expression
- Latin Music Star Samantha Sanchez Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- BT Unveils Hope United Shirt to Raise Funds for Cybersmile
- Renowned U.K. Doctor And Wellbeing Expert Dr Radha Modgil Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile Announce Partnership with CO. by Colgate
- Catching Up with Liverpool and England Star Jordan Henderson to Discuss the Problem of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile and Asphalt 9: Legends Launch ‘Get on the ride, own the future’ NFT Fundraising Campaign
- Cybersmile And Instagram Announce ‘Banter or Bullying? No Offence’ Report And Campaign
- Cybersmile Warns of Rise in Cyberbullying Incidents Involving Doctored Images and Deepfake Videos
- Twitter Change Policy to Prohibit the Sharing of Images or Videos of People without Their Permission
- British Government Launch New Online Media Literacy Strategy to Help Internet Users Remain Safe and Informed Online
- Cybersmile Unveil New Website and Brand Identity for Stop Cyberbullying Day
- Instagram Announce New Changes to Protect Users from Abuse
- Cybersmile, Instagram and Cosmopolitan Reunite to Unveil The Positivity Index 2021
- Twitch Introduce New Tools And Guidelines To Tackle Hate Speech And Harassment
- Cybersmile and Ten Toes Media Announce Partnership
- Twitter’s Head of U.K. Public Policy Katy Minshall Talks All Things Safety
- Experts Issue Doomscrolling Warning With Increasing Concerns For Mental Health
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Learning Modules Focused On Getting The Most From Instagram
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2020 Report Focussing On Young People’s Technology-Related Wellbeing
- Twitter Announce New Feature To Tackle Misinformation After Successful Trial
- Cybersmile Launch ‘Think Twice before You Type’ Campaign To Mark Safer Internet Day
- Snapchat Announce The Launch Of Snap Minis To Offer Mental Health Support To Users
- Instagram And Facebook Announce Ban On All Content Promoting LGBT Conversion Therapy
- Cybersmile Help Center
- Managing An Eating Disorder During Lockdown
- Facebook And Instagram Announce New Focus To Combat Racism Online
- Cybersmile Announce Brandon Hendrickson As Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- Australian Government put Big Tech Companies on Notice to End Online Bullying
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Snapchat Announce New Mental Health Intervention Feature
- Gaming Help Center
- Study Links Negative Effects Of Cyberbullying With Serious Mental Health Problems Among Young People
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer