President Macron Launches Global Incentive for Child Online Safety
This announcement follows a number of online safety changes brought in by the French government in recent years which included rules intended to prevent minors accessing adult websites, age-verification, and privacy rules for underage users. If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, follow the links to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
Speaking at the Paris Peace Forum 2022 in Paris, French President Emmanuel Macron has announced the creation of the Children Online Protection Laboratory, which aims to improve the online safety of children across the world.
Child safety online is a huge issue in Europe, encompassing key aspects of online child safety such as privacy protection, combating cyberbullying, the proliferation of child sexual abuse material and child exploitation, age verification on adult websites and social networks, mental well-being and digital literacy, to name a few.
The new multi-stakeholder incentive is the result of consultation with digital platforms, charities, advocacy groups and other members of civil society, who will also be playing key roles in its implementation. The initial objectives outlined by the new Protection Lab will be to identify robust protocols and solutions that will enable children to use digital tools safely and benefit from their potential without being exposed to abuse or harmful content.
“We welcome this latest commitment as an important step forward in addressing the pressing issues facing young internet users today. As the internet continues to become more prevalent in our lives, it is essential that we recognize the risks and challenges that our children are facing and continue to work towards creating a safer, inclusive and more rewarding online environment for them.”
Dan Raisbeck, Co-founder, The Cybersmile Foundation
Meta’s Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp, alongside other major platforms such as Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Twitter, Snapchat, TikTok, and French platform Dailymotion, will all be involved in the new Lab’s work and will also be joined by the UN, UNICEF and other civil society organizations..
Estonia, Argentina and New Zealand have all committed to help set up the new Protection Laboratory alongside the United Nations and other key partners. Speaking at an event on the protection of children in cyberspace, which was held in parallel with the Paris Peace Forum, Estonian president Alar Karis commented on the importance of the initiative, stating that “We must do everything within our power to protect the vulnerable in cyberspace. Through education and training, we must raise the level of awareness of the threats posed by the Internet. Estonia is working closely with other countries in implementing programs needed for the protection of children on the Internet, and we look forward to the ideas the lab will come up with in that regard.”
The announcement of this incentive follows a number of online safety changes brought in by the French government over the last few years including rules intended to prevent minors accessing adult websites as well as age-verification and privacy rules for underage users.
If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, we can help you. Visit our Help Center or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to open Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
To learn more about Cybersmile and our work, please explore the following recommendations:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cybersmile Education Program
- Cybersmile Announce Hollywood Actress Garcelle Beauvais as Official Ambassador
- Stop Cyberbullying Day 2022 Highlights
- TikTok Star Holly H Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2022 Report Examining the Impact of Social Media on Gen Z Wellbeing in the U.K.
- Cybersmile Publish National Gen Z Report Exploring the Prevalence and Emotional Impact of Identity-Based Cyberbullying in the U.S.
- Cybersmile Launch “Sharezees” Campaign with Top Influencers to Discourage Password Sharing
- Cybersmile and EE Announce Fundraising Campaign to Mark UEFA Women’s Euros 2022
- Cybersmile Announce Canadian Formula One Driver Nicholas Latifi as New Official Ambassador
- Premier League Footballers Team Up with Cybersmile to Highlight the Real-Life Consequences of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile Partners with BT to Launch Education Platform for Young People to Tackle Online Hate
- Mental Health, Wellbeing and Equity Expert Dr Barbara Mariposa Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile and Urban Decay Launch Global “WORDS HURT IRL” Campaign Featuring Ava Michelle
- Cybersmile and Urban Decay Launch Changemaker Education and Empowerment Program
- Liverpool & England Star Jordan Henderson and Cybersmile team up for ‘People Not Profiles’ Anti-Cyberbullying Campaign
- Cybersmile and CO. by Colgate Hold Roundtable Event to Raise Awareness of Cyberbullying
- Cybersmile and Instagram Partner to #CreateAKinderEnvironment Online
- Cybersmile and Dragon Mania Legends Team Up to Combat Online Bullying and Celebrate Freedom of Expression
- Latin Music Star Samantha Sanchez Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- BT Unveils Hope United Shirt to Raise Funds for Cybersmile
- Renowned U.K. Doctor And Wellbeing Expert Dr Radha Modgil Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile Announce Partnership with CO. by Colgate
- Catching Up with Liverpool and England Star Jordan Henderson to Discuss the Problem of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile and Asphalt 9: Legends Launch ‘Get on the ride, own the future’ NFT Fundraising Campaign
- Cybersmile And Instagram Announce ‘Banter or Bullying? No Offence’ Report And Campaign
- Cybersmile Warns of Rise in Cyberbullying Incidents Involving Doctored Images and Deepfake Videos
- Twitter Change Policy to Prohibit the Sharing of Images or Videos of People without Their Permission
- British Government Launch New Online Media Literacy Strategy to Help Internet Users Remain Safe and Informed Online
- Cybersmile Unveil New Website and Brand Identity for Stop Cyberbullying Day
- Instagram Announce New Changes to Protect Users from Abuse
- Cybersmile, Instagram and Cosmopolitan Reunite to Unveil The Positivity Index 2021
- Twitch Introduce New Tools And Guidelines To Tackle Hate Speech And Harassment
- Cybersmile and Ten Toes Media Announce Partnership
- Twitter’s Head of U.K. Public Policy Katy Minshall Talks All Things Safety
- Experts Issue Doomscrolling Warning With Increasing Concerns For Mental Health
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Learning Modules Focused On Getting The Most From Instagram
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2020 Report Focussing On Young People’s Technology-Related Wellbeing
- Twitter Announce New Feature To Tackle Misinformation After Successful Trial
- Cybersmile Launch ‘Think Twice before You Type’ Campaign To Mark Safer Internet Day
- Snapchat Announce The Launch Of Snap Minis To Offer Mental Health Support To Users
- Instagram And Facebook Announce Ban On All Content Promoting LGBT Conversion Therapy
- Cybersmile Help Center
- Managing An Eating Disorder During Lockdown
- Facebook And Instagram Announce New Focus To Combat Racism Online
- Cybersmile Announce Brandon Hendrickson As Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- Australian Government put Big Tech Companies on Notice to End Online Bullying
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Snapchat Announce New Mental Health Intervention Feature
- Gaming Help Center
- Study Links Negative Effects Of Cyberbullying With Serious Mental Health Problems Among Young People
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer