Lizzo Wins Cybersmiler of the Month Award for August
The multi-Grammy award winner and previous Time magazine’s Entertainer of The Year, has spoken out about abuse she had received on social media targeting her appearance, identity and body size. Talking on Instagram Live, she spoke about how being subjected to abuse and fat phobic comments affected her. If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, follow the links to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
Cybersmile are honored to announce singer, rapper, songwriter, and classically trained flautist ‘Lizzo’ as August’s Cybersmiler of the Month Award winner for using her platform to speak out against body-shaming online and amplifying her call for more inclusivity within the body positive conversation.
The multi-Grammy award winner and previous Time magazine’s Entertainer of The Year, has spoken out about abuse she had received on social media targeting her appearance, identity and body size. Talking on Instagram Live, she spoke about how being subjected to abuse and fat phobic comments affected her.
“It’s like it doesn’t matter how much positive energy you put into the world, you’re still going to have people who have something mean to say about you. And for the most part, it doesn’t hurt my feelings – I don’t care. I just think when I’m working this hard, my tolerance gets lower. My patience is lower. I’m more sensitive, and it gets to me.”
Lizzo, Cybersmiler of the Month
Lizzo, Born Melissa Jefferson in Detroit, has a powerful message that has resonated with the body positive movement, stating, “What I don’t like is how the people that this term was created for are not benefiting from it”. The singer went on to explain how she felt more could be done to normalize body size perceptions which would help to make conversations more inclusive, saying “I think it’s lazy for me to just say I’m body positive at this point. I would like to be body-normative. I want to normalize my body. And not just be like, ‘Ooh, look at this cool movement. Being fat is body positive.’ No, being fat is normal. I think now, I owe it to the people who started this to not just stop here.”
The singer recently opened up on social media in a tearful and emotional video talking about the fat-phobic and racist abuse she received following the successful release of ‘Rumors’, a track she had recorded in collaboration with Cardi B. Her post prompted a huge response from the media as well as a wave of support from her fans and fellow artists. Cardi B immediately came out publicly to support Lizzo, and her partner, Offset also spoke out against the abuse saying, “Let these beautiful Black women be great. Stop judging. We work hard being entertainers for the world.”
Everyone at Cybersmile would like to say a huge WELL DONE to Lizzo for promoting such inspirational and important message of inclusivity – and a huge welcome to the Cybersmiler of the Month Hall of Fame. Lizzo, we think you are amazing!
You can explore the Cybersmiler of the Month Award winners Hall of Fame to see a full list of previous recipients and learn more about becoming a brand sponsor of the award here.
If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, we can help you. Visit our Help Center or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to open Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
To learn more about Cybersmile and our work, please explore the following recommendations:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cybersmile Education Program
- TikTok Star Holly H Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- Stop Cyberbullying Day 2021 Highlights
- Cybersmile Launches Global Anti-Bullying Campaign in Partnership with Urban Decay Cosmetics
- Liverpool & England Star Jordan Henderson and Cybersmile team up for ‘People Not Profiles’ Anti-Cyberbullying Campaign
- Latin Music Star Samantha Sanchez Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- BT Unveils Hope United Shirt to Raise Funds for Cybersmile
- Renowned U.K. Doctor And Wellbeing Expert Dr Radha Modgil Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile Announce Partnership with CO. by Colgate
- Catching Up with Liverpool and England Star Jordan Henderson to Discuss the Problem of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile And Instagram Announce ‘Banter or Bullying? No Offence’ Report And Campaign
- British Government Launch New Online Media Literacy Strategy to Help Internet Users Remain Safe and Informed Online
- Cybersmile Unveil New Website and Brand Identity for Stop Cyberbullying Day
- Instagram Announce New Changes to Protect Users from Abuse
- Cybersmile, Instagram and Cosmopolitan Reunite to Unveil The Positivity Index 2021
- Twitch Introduce New Tools And Guidelines To Tackle Hate Speech And Harassment
- Cybersmile and Ten Toes Media Announce Partnership
- Twitter’s Head of U.K. Public Policy Katy Minshall Talks All Things Safety
- Experts Issue Doomscrolling Warning With Increasing Concerns For Mental Health
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Learning Modules Focused On Getting The Most From Instagram
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2020 Report Focussing On Young People’s Technology-Related Wellbeing
- Twitter Announce New Feature To Tackle Misinformation After Successful Trial
- Cybersmile Launch ‘Think Twice before You Type’ Campaign To Mark Safer Internet Day
- Snapchat Announce The Launch Of Snap Minis To Offer Mental Health Support To Users
- Instagram And Facebook Announce Ban On All Content Promoting LGBT Conversion Therapy
- Cybersmile Help Center
- Managing An Eating Disorder During Lockdown
- Facebook And Instagram Announce New Focus To Combat Racism Online
- Cybersmile Announce Brandon Hendrickson As Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- Australian Government put Big Tech Companies on Notice to End Online Bullying
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Snapchat Announce New Mental Health Intervention Feature
- Gaming Help Center
- Study Links Negative Effects Of Cyberbullying With Serious Mental Health Problems Among Young People
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer