Cybersmile Campaign and Activity Highlights of 2022
The last year has seen Cybersmile ideate and deliver some of our most profound campaigns and activities to date. For more details about any activity mentioned below, follow the links throughout this article to the corresponding pages. If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, follow the links to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
As we look back on 2022, everybody at Cybersmile would like to say a HUGE thank you to all those people who supported our activities over the last 12 months. In particular, we would like to recognize the amazing work of our volunteers, corporate partners, media partners, advisory panel members, official ambassadors, donors, supporting organizations, supporting governments, influencers and content creators, and of course, our Cybersmile social community of over 2 million people who promote our work all over the world.
2023 is set to be Cybersmile’s most exciting year to date. We will be forging a new chapter in our history with a host of exciting campaigns, new educational tools and many surprises to be revealed in the coming months.
Cybersmile launched “Sharezees” campaign with top teen influencers Arabella and Izzie Rodgers
We launched a new awareness campaign supported by Urban Outfitters entitled “Sharezees” to discourage teens from sharing their passwords and security PIN codes – a habit that can have devastating consequences.
The Sharezees campaign aimed to reach a broad audience to help change the culture around password sharing, moving it away from being acceptable or even a show of affection or friendship.
You can learn more about our Sharezees campaign here.
Cybersmile and the CW Network launched the nationwide “Dare to Love, Defy Hate” mental health campaign
We teamed up with The CW Network to launch a powerful campaign entitled “Dare to Love, Defy Hate” on World Mental Health Day with the support of the US Surgeon General, music icon Stevie Wonder, and a range of popular TV stars.
The partnership between The CW Network and Cybersmile encouraged young people to prioritize love, kindness and respect and to provide resources and support to those facing cyberbullying related issues.
You can learn more about our Dare to Love, Defy Hate campaign here.
Cybersmile launched its digital wellbeing campaign on World Mental Health Day
To mark World Mental Health Day 2022, we announced a number of activities including exclusive interviews and the launch of a new Digital Wellbeing interactive learning module designed to help internet users maintain their mental and physical health when spending time online.
The new module was incorporated into the Cybersmile Education Program which contains a full curriculum of interactive learning modules focusing on a wide range of issues affecting internet users of all ages.
You can learn more about our World Mental Health Day campaign here.
Cybersmile announced Hollywood star Garcelle Beauvais as an official ambassador
2022 saw us proudly announce Haitian-born, Hollywood actress Garcelle Beauvais as Cybersmile’s newest ambassador.
Garcelle Beauvais is one of the most recognizable names in Hollywood. She made her acting debut in the hit romantic comedy film Coming to America starring Eddie Murphy and co-starred with Jamie Foxx in the culturally renowned TV series The Jamie Foxx Show as Francesca ‘Fancy’ Monroe.
Over the years, Garcelle has become a prominent actress, playing a host of major roles in blockbuster films from White House Down opposite Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx as the First Lady of the United States to Flight with Denzel Washington and in Sony’s smash hit Spider-Man: Homecoming with Tom Holland. She proudly became the first Black cast member for popular Bravo reality TV series The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.
You can read more about Garcelle becoming a Cybersmile ambassador here.
Cybersmile announced Amazing Arabella as an official ambassador
During 2022 we announced leading Gen Z influencer Amazing Arabella as an official Cybersmile ambassador.
Arabella, who is one of the world’s top teen influencers, regularly uses her powerful platform to help promote important messages relating to mental health, self-care and wellbeing – areas of focus that align perfectly with Cybersmile’s mission.
You can read more about Arabella becoming a Cybersmile ambassador here.
Cybersmile teamed up with EE on a fundraising campaign to mark the launch of the UEFA Women’s Euros Championship
Cybersmile and EE announced a fundraising initiative as part of a campaign to address sexist hate online. The campaign launched ahead of the 2022 UEFA Women’s European Championships.
The campaign featured a video series sharing digital skills; free online resources that educated people on how to challenge and report online hate against women, while giving women tips and advice on how to protect themselves against it.
You can learn more about our sexist hate campaign here.
Cybersmile and Urban Decay launched the “Words Hurt IRL” campaign with TV star Ava Michelle on Stop Cyberbullying Day
Cybersmile and Urban Decay announced their “WORDS HURT IRL” initiative in support of Stop Cyberbullying Day featuring a powerful call-to-action video starring “Tall Girl” actress, Ava Michelle.
The campaign featured a series of videos starring Ava Michelle, a firsthand victim of bullying, both in real life and online. The videos shared an impactful synopsis of her personal story and inspired viewers to “stop giving hateful words power” and to “cancel online hate together.”
You can learn more about our WORDS HURT IRL campaign here.
Premier League football players including Jordan Henderson joined Cybersmile to highlight online abuse consequences on Stop Cyberbullying Day
Premier League footballers Jordan Henderson, Declan Rice, Harry Maguire, Kasper Schmeichel, Ben Mee and Jermaine Jenas joined together with Cybersmile and Ten Toes to highlight the real-world implications of online abuse.
The campaign saw the individual footballers share an ‘edited selfie’ on their social media channels alongside a call to action to stop online abuse. The altered selfie depicted the individual with physical injuries overlaid, illustrating the real-life consequences of words shared online.
You can learn more about our Word Wounds campaign here.
Cybersmile published its Digital Wellbeing 2022 report examining the impact of social media use on Gen Z wellbeing in the UK
We published our second bi-yearly study examining the impact of social media use on Gen-Z wellbeing in the UK.
Our Digital Wellbeing 2022 study asked a series of questions relating to the way that social media use affects participants. Important topics such as mental health, body image, social comparisons, negative news consumption, social media addiction and many more were explored as part of the research project.
You can learn more and download the full Digital Wellbeing 2022 report here.
Stop Cyberbullying Day 2022 is launched with the theme of self-care
Stop Cyberbullying Day 2022 welcomed millions of internet users around the world with the theme of self-care and digital wellbeing to mark the event’s 10th anniversary.
You can learn more about Stop Cyberbullying Day 2022 here.
Cybersmile announced formula 1 driver Nicholas Latifi as an official ambassador
2022 saw us announce Canadian Formula One driver Nicholas Latifi as an official Cybersmile ambassador.
Committed to having a powerful social impact together, Nicholas has pledged to take action by joining Cybersmile as an official ambassador to help raise global awareness of our work.
You can read more about Nicholas becoming a Cybersmile ambassador here.
Mental health, wellbeing and equity expert Dr. Barbara Mariposa joined the Cybersmile Advisory Panel
We announced renowned mental health and wellbeing expert, spokesperson and author Dr. Barbara Mariposa as the newest addition to our panel of internal experts.
As a medical doctor with a background in psychiatry and public health, Dr. Barbara, whose books include The Mindfulness Playbook, The Kindness Habit, and Leading with Presence, works internationally to follow a life-long enquiry into the interdependence of body, emotion, mind and environment. The new Cybersmile panel member works to dismantle all forms of discrimination and inequity while learning and spreading the tools of personal growth and wellbeing to create environments and systems that do justice to our shared humanity.
You can lear more about Dr. Barbara Mariposa joining our advisory panel here.
Cybersmile partnered with BT to launch a new educational platform for young people to tackle online hate
Cybersmile and BT announced a new partnership to tackle online hate, bullying and abuse through the launch of a new online education platform and a series of live events for young people.
A roadshow kicked off the new platform with workshops being delivered to 10–18-year-olds in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The workshops featured special guests and also built on BT’s Hope United initiative – which launched last year bringing together a diverse team of football players to tackle online hate in order to address the impact it can have on young people, and what can be done to combat it.
You can learn more about our BT Roadshow here.
Cybersmile and Urban Decay launch Allyship education and empowerment program
Cybersmile and Urban Decay announced the launch of a meaningful education program designed to educate and empower 500,000 internet users with the tools and knowledge to keep themselves and others safe online.
The educational program featured 6 interactive modules and a downloadable toolkit which equipped internet users of all ages and abilities with everything they needed to stay safe online, help others and make use of the power of the internet to support marginalized communities through considered and appropriate allyship.
You can learn more about our allyship education program here.
Stay tuned for even more exciting activities, campaigns and announcements during 2023! To learn more about Cybersmile and our work, please explore the following recommendations:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cybersmile Education Program
- Cybersmile Announce Hollywood Actress Garcelle Beauvais as Official Ambassador
- Stop Cyberbullying Day 2022 Highlights
- TikTok Star Holly H Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2022 Report Examining the Impact of Social Media on Gen Z Wellbeing in the U.K.
- Cybersmile Publish National Gen Z Report Exploring the Prevalence and Emotional Impact of Identity-Based Cyberbullying in the U.S.
- Cybersmile Launch “Sharezees” Campaign with Top Influencers to Discourage Password Sharing
- Cybersmile and EE Announce Fundraising Campaign to Mark UEFA Women’s Euros 2022
- Cybersmile Announce Canadian Formula One Driver Nicholas Latifi as New Official Ambassador
- Premier League Footballers Team Up with Cybersmile to Highlight the Real-Life Consequences of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile Partners with BT to Launch Education Platform for Young People to Tackle Online Hate
- Mental Health, Wellbeing and Equity Expert Dr Barbara Mariposa Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile and Urban Decay Launch Global “WORDS HURT IRL” Campaign Featuring Ava Michelle
- Cybersmile and Urban Decay Launch Changemaker Education and Empowerment Program
- Liverpool & England Star Jordan Henderson and Cybersmile team up for ‘People Not Profiles’ Anti-Cyberbullying Campaign
- Cybersmile and CO. by Colgate Hold Roundtable Event to Raise Awareness of Cyberbullying
- Cybersmile and Instagram Partner to #CreateAKinderEnvironment Online
- Cybersmile and Dragon Mania Legends Team Up to Combat Online Bullying and Celebrate Freedom of Expression
- Latin Music Star Samantha Sanchez Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- BT Unveils Hope United Shirt to Raise Funds for Cybersmile
- Renowned U.K. Doctor And Wellbeing Expert Dr Radha Modgil Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile Announce Partnership with CO. by Colgate
- Catching Up with Liverpool and England Star Jordan Henderson to Discuss the Problem of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile and Asphalt 9: Legends Launch ‘Get on the ride, own the future’ NFT Fundraising Campaign
- Cybersmile And Instagram Announce ‘Banter or Bullying? No Offence’ Report And Campaign
- Cybersmile Warns of Rise in Cyberbullying Incidents Involving Doctored Images and Deepfake Videos
- Twitter Change Policy to Prohibit the Sharing of Images or Videos of People without Their Permission
- British Government Launch New Online Media Literacy Strategy to Help Internet Users Remain Safe and Informed Online
- Cybersmile Unveil New Website and Brand Identity for Stop Cyberbullying Day
- Instagram Announce New Changes to Protect Users from Abuse
- Cybersmile, Instagram and Cosmopolitan Reunite to Unveil The Positivity Index 2021
- Twitch Introduce New Tools And Guidelines To Tackle Hate Speech And Harassment
- Cybersmile and Ten Toes Media Announce Partnership
- Twitter’s Head of U.K. Public Policy Katy Minshall Talks All Things Safety
- Experts Issue Doomscrolling Warning With Increasing Concerns For Mental Health
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Learning Modules Focused On Getting The Most From Instagram
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2020 Report Focussing On Young People’s Technology-Related Wellbeing
- Twitter Announce New Feature To Tackle Misinformation After Successful Trial
- Cybersmile Launch ‘Think Twice before You Type’ Campaign To Mark Safer Internet Day
- Snapchat Announce The Launch Of Snap Minis To Offer Mental Health Support To Users
- Instagram And Facebook Announce Ban On All Content Promoting LGBT Conversion Therapy
- Cybersmile Help Center
- Managing An Eating Disorder During Lockdown
- Facebook And Instagram Announce New Focus To Combat Racism Online
- Cybersmile Announce Brandon Hendrickson As Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- Australian Government put Big Tech Companies on Notice to End Online Bullying
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Snapchat Announce New Mental Health Intervention Feature
- Gaming Help Center
- Study Links Negative Effects Of Cyberbullying With Serious Mental Health Problems Among Young People
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer
How amazing has the last 12 months been? Let us know your thoughts by contacting us or tweet us @CybersmileHQ.