Celeste Barber Wins Cybersmiler of the Month Award for January
Over 1.2 million people donated to the fundraiser, with over $1000 being donated each second! In total, more than $34 million in donations have been raised for the New South Wales Rural Fire Service.
We are excited to announced Celeste Barber as our Cybersmiler of the Month Award winner for January – joining a host of public figures and brands who have undertaken incredible selfless acts of kindness to make our world a better place!
Following the unprecedented fires in Australia that have caused devastation, Australian comedian Celeste Barber decided to put together a fundraiser to support the New South Wales Rural Fire Service.
“Celeste’s leadership in bringing about public awareness of the Australian fires, and her kind, compassionate act to launch a fundraiser has inspired millions around the world. We are thrilled to be able to commend her for this work, and to see all the good that it is making around the world. When we come together, amazing, and transformative things can happen.”
Dan Raisbeck, Co-founder, The Cybersmile Foundation
The comedian launched the fundraiser on Facebook – encouraging her followers to give their support and contribute in any way they can to help firefighters and people on the ground. Little did she know that in just a matter of hours, the fundraiser would go viral and make a huge difference.
After launching the fundraiser, the comedian started receiving an outpouring of support from fans, companies and public figures, all keen to contribute.
Within days it caught the attention of a whole host of celebrities who also encouraged their fans and communities to support the initiative. Some of the public figures and organizations that have donated include Pink, Nicole Kidman, Natalie Portman, Lizzo, Ashleigh Barty, Selena Gomez, Metallica, Kylie Minogue, Kylie Jenner, Chris Hemsworth, Keith Urban, Ellen DeGeneres, Sir Elton John, Football Federation Australia and Netball Australia!
In total, more than $34 million in donations have been raised ($51 million AUD) for the New South Wales Rural Fire Service – a government-funded agency that is made up of volunteers – and the Brigades Donations Fund, which distributes charitable donations directly to fire brigades. Over 1.2 million people donated and over $1000 a second was pledged.
“This is out of control! You are all out of control. My love and appreciation for you all is out of control.”
Celeste Barber, Cybersmiler of the Month
Thanks to Celeste’s selfless act, she has managed to encourage and inspire people around the world to contribute to efforts in helping Australia recover from the fires. And, not only that, but some of the world’s biggest stars have been inspired to join in, and in turn, start their own fundraisers to support Australia – kindness is infectious!
Funds raised will support Australia’s recovery efforts and help firefighters and volunteers on the ground take care of wildlife displaced by the sheer scale of the fires across the country, as well as support the families who have lost homes and possessions.
We think Celeste is an absolute hero for this fundraiser and thoroughly deserves recognition as our Cybersmiler of the Month Award winner for January!
Remember to let us know if you see any brands or celebrities going the extra mile to make the world a better place. To learn more about Cybersmile and our work, please explore the following recommendations:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cybersmile 2019 Campaign And Activity Highlights
- Cyberbullying And Online Abuse Help Center
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- World Leaders And Technology Companies Pledge To Fight Online Hate Speech
- Cybersmile And Live Journalism Tech Publisher Grit Daily Announce U.S. Media Partnership
- Body Confidence Influencer Chessie King Announced As Official Cybersmile Ambassador And Media Spokesperson
- Cybersmile And Ingenuity London Announce Official PR Partnership For Cybersmile’s U.K. Activities
- Studies Reveal Stark Contrast Between Teenage Male And Female Cyberbullying Incidents
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- Cybersmile Publishes National Banter Or Bullying? Research Report
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- New Three-Digit Mental Health Emergency Hotline Set To Launch Across U.S.
- Catching Up With Zoe Sugg To Discuss Life Online
- Cybersmile And Instagram Announce Anti-Bullying Campaign: Banter or Bullying?
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Florida Mandates Mental Health Learning In Schools
- Stop Cyberbullying Day 2019 Highlights
- Cybersmile And Rimmel Launch Groundbreaking AI Support Assistant
- Gaming Help Center
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Digital Civility Learning Platform
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Cybersmile Wins Gold At Cannes Lions For Body Positivity Campaign
- Cybersmile To Make All Educational Workshops Completely Free For Everybody
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer