Exclusive Interview with TikTok Star and Cybersmile Ambassador Holly H
Holly has been an official Cybersmile ambassador since 2020. If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, follow the links to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
What is your favorite social media platform and why?
I don’t think I could definitively answer this question because they all serve a different purpose for me personally. In some moments where I’m feeling super creative, TikTok is my favorite, for sure! But, when I feel like I need interaction and connection then Instagram is my go-to favorite as I can engage much more with my community there!
Do you think social media is a blessing or a curse?
It is what you choose it to be… It can be a difficult place to be when you sit and compare yourself to others, but it is so easy to control your narrative across social media with who you choose to follow, differentiating what is real and what’s not, the privacy settings you choose to have etc. But, if you surround yourself with goodness, it can be the biggest blessing!
Have you ever been personally targeted with online abuse?
How does it make you feel and how do you deal with it?
When I didn’t have a platform, it was definitely more difficult. Back when I was at school, I experienced online bullying, which I struggled to deal with, but I guess the block button exists precisely for this reason! But now, any stranger that says something negative to me means nothing as I don’t personally know them and they don’t know me.
What message would you have for someone who thinks that abuse and harassment online ‘is just a joke’?
Hurting a person’s feelings or mental health is never a joke. Picking at a person’s insecurities will not make yours go away and if someone is setting boundaries with you – respect them as you’d expect them to!
What advice would you give to somebody being bullied or abused online?
If it is from someone you don’t know, their opinion of you is entirely irrelevant; we all have different perceptions, and all that matters is the opinion we have of ourselves. If it’s from another person you know, talk to someone about it, and get advice from those who care you for.
What would say to anybody who is anxious about pursuing their dreams for fear of ridicule and abuse?
If you’re happy and you’re not hurting anyone, who cares? You have one life; watch them stop laughing when you succeed!
Do you have a positive mantra or saying that you use to motivate yourself?
Similar to what I said in the last question! If it’s not harming anyone and will make me happy, do it; there’s absolutely nothing to lose!
In 10 words or less, why is kindness important?
You can change someone’s life with one word of kindness.
We would like to say a HUGE thank you to Holly for this interview and her ongoing support for our work as a Cybersmile ambassador! To learn more about Cybersmile and the work we do, please explore the recommendations below:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cybersmile Education Program
- Cybersmile Campaign and Activity Highlights of 2021
- TikTok Star Holly H Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- Cybersmile Publish National Gen Z Report Exploring the Prevalence and Emotional Impact of Identity-Based Cyberbullying in the U.S.
- Cybersmile Announce Canadian Formula One Driver Nicholas Latifi as New Official Ambassador
- Cybersmile Partners with BT to Launch Education Platform for Young People to Tackle Online Hate
- Mental Health, Wellbeing and Equity Expert Dr Barbara Mariposa Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Stop Cyberbullying Day 2021 Highlights
- Cybersmile and Urban Decay Launch Changemaker Education and Empowerment Program
- Liverpool & England Star Jordan Henderson and Cybersmile team up for ‘People Not Profiles’ Anti-Cyberbullying Campaign
- Cybersmile and CO. by Colgate Hold Roundtable Event to Raise Awareness of Cyberbullying
- Cybersmile and Instagram Partner to #CreateAKinderEnvironment Online
- Cybersmile and Dragon Mania Legends Team Up to Combat Online Bullying and Celebrate Freedom of Expression
- Latin Music Star Samantha Sanchez Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- BT Unveils Hope United Shirt to Raise Funds for Cybersmile
- Renowned U.K. Doctor And Wellbeing Expert Dr Radha Modgil Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile Announce Partnership with CO. by Colgate
- Catching Up with Liverpool and England Star Jordan Henderson to Discuss the Problem of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile and Asphalt 9: Legends Launch ‘Get on the ride, own the future’ NFT Fundraising Campaign
- Cybersmile And Instagram Announce ‘Banter or Bullying? No Offence’ Report And Campaign
- Cybersmile Warns of Rise in Cyberbullying Incidents Involving Doctored Images and Deepfake Videos
- Twitter Change Policy to Prohibit the Sharing of Images or Videos of People without Their Permission
- British Government Launch New Online Media Literacy Strategy to Help Internet Users Remain Safe and Informed Online
- Cybersmile Unveil New Website and Brand Identity for Stop Cyberbullying Day
- Instagram Announce New Changes to Protect Users from Abuse
- Cybersmile, Instagram and Cosmopolitan Reunite to Unveil The Positivity Index 2021
- Twitch Introduce New Tools And Guidelines To Tackle Hate Speech And Harassment
- Cybersmile and Ten Toes Media Announce Partnership
- Twitter’s Head of U.K. Public Policy Katy Minshall Talks All Things Safety
- Experts Issue Doomscrolling Warning With Increasing Concerns For Mental Health
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Learning Modules Focused On Getting The Most From Instagram
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2020 Report Focussing On Young People’s Technology-Related Wellbeing
- Twitter Announce New Feature To Tackle Misinformation After Successful Trial
- Cybersmile Launch ‘Think Twice before You Type’ Campaign To Mark Safer Internet Day
- Snapchat Announce The Launch Of Snap Minis To Offer Mental Health Support To Users
- Instagram And Facebook Announce Ban On All Content Promoting LGBT Conversion Therapy
- Cybersmile Help Center
- Managing An Eating Disorder During Lockdown
- Facebook And Instagram Announce New Focus To Combat Racism Online
- Cybersmile Announce Brandon Hendrickson As Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- Australian Government put Big Tech Companies on Notice to End Online Bullying
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Snapchat Announce New Mental Health Intervention Feature
- Gaming Help Center
- Study Links Negative Effects Of Cyberbullying With Serious Mental Health Problems Among Young People
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer
How amazing is Holly?!! ? Let us know your thoughts on this interview by contacting us or tweet us @CybersmileHQ.