Exclusive Interview with Tall Girl Actress Ava Michelle
Following our recent 'Words Hurt IRL' campaign as part of our global partnership with Urban Decay, we caught up with Netflix's Tall Girl actress Ava Michelle to discuss all aspects of life online. If you are affected by anything touched on within this article, follow the links to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
What is your favorite social media platform and why?
I would say Instagram. I really love the community I’ve created on the platform and love being able to talk and interact with everyone.
Do you think social media is a blessing or a curse?
I think it is both. It is a blessing in which we can learn, educate ourselves and each other, bring awareness to many topics and share passions with people across the world. I think it’s a curse in which it has become a space that isn’t real. It is the highlight reel of anyone’s life so we feel we can’t share our true lives or selves without being judged or receiving hate.
Have you ever been personally targeted with online abuse?
Yes, I have. My appearance and ability has been torn apart on social media starting around age 11.
How did/does it make you feel and how do you deal with it then/now?
It was really hard. Especially as a young girl trying to figure out why strangers would say such terrible things about you. I learned to lean on those who love me and support me for who I am. And the most important thing I learned was to love myself for exactly who I am. With that foundation set, it’s hard for anyone to break through it now.
What message would you have for someone who thinks that abuse and harassment online ‘is just a joke’?
I would say that no a joke never comes with the sacrifice of making someone else feel bad about themselves. Joking about someone in a negative way, is still bullying.
What advice would you give to somebody being bullied or abused online?
I would tell them to lean on those around you who love you. You are not alone in this and those words that are being said don’t define you. Know when to get off of social media, and go do something that makes you happy.
What would say to anybody who is anxious about pursuing their dreams for fear of ridicule and abuse?
I would say no matter what you do, you will never make everyone happy. Don’t stop your happiness in fear that someone will try to take it from you, you are worth more than that.
Do you have a positive mantra or saying that you use to motivate yourself?
I do a lot of I Am affirmations. They change everyday… I am loved. I am strong. I am worthy. I am supported. etc.
In 10 words or less, why is kindness important?
Kindness is love, and love is our human nature.
We would like to say a HUGE thank you to Ava for this amazing interview and her incredible work supporting our global campaign with Urban Decay! To learn more about Cybersmile and the work we do, please explore the recommendations below:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cybersmile Education Program
- Stop Cyberbullying Day 2022 Highlights
- TikTok Star Holly H Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2022 Report Examining the Impact of Social Media on Gen Z Wellbeing in the U.K.
- Cybersmile Publish National Gen Z Report Exploring the Prevalence and Emotional Impact of Identity-Based Cyberbullying in the U.S.
- Cybersmile and EE Announce Fundraising Campaign to Mark UEFA Women’s Euros 2022
- Cybersmile Announce Canadian Formula One Driver Nicholas Latifi as New Official Ambassador
- Premier League Footballers Team Up with Cybersmile to Highlight the Real-Life Consequences of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile Partners with BT to Launch Education Platform for Young People to Tackle Online Hate
- Mental Health, Wellbeing and Equity Expert Dr Barbara Mariposa Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile and Urban Decay Launch Global “WORDS HURT IRL” Campaign Featuring Ava Michelle
- Cybersmile and Urban Decay Launch Changemaker Education and Empowerment Program
- Liverpool & England Star Jordan Henderson and Cybersmile team up for ‘People Not Profiles’ Anti-Cyberbullying Campaign
- Cybersmile and CO. by Colgate Hold Roundtable Event to Raise Awareness of Cyberbullying
- Cybersmile and Instagram Partner to #CreateAKinderEnvironment Online
- Selena Gomez Announced as Cybersmiler of the Month Award Winner for July
- Cybersmile and Dragon Mania Legends Team Up to Combat Online Bullying and Celebrate Freedom of Expression
- Latin Music Star Samantha Sanchez Announced as Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- BT Unveils Hope United Shirt to Raise Funds for Cybersmile
- Renowned U.K. Doctor And Wellbeing Expert Dr Radha Modgil Joins Cybersmile Advisory Panel
- Cybersmile Announce Partnership with CO. by Colgate
- Catching Up with Liverpool and England Star Jordan Henderson to Discuss the Problem of Online Abuse
- Cybersmile and Asphalt 9: Legends Launch ‘Get on the ride, own the future’ NFT Fundraising Campaign
- Cybersmile And Instagram Announce ‘Banter or Bullying? No Offence’ Report And Campaign
- Cybersmile Warns of Rise in Cyberbullying Incidents Involving Doctored Images and Deepfake Videos
- Twitter Change Policy to Prohibit the Sharing of Images or Videos of People without Their Permission
- British Government Launch New Online Media Literacy Strategy to Help Internet Users Remain Safe and Informed Online
- Cybersmile Unveil New Website and Brand Identity for Stop Cyberbullying Day
- Instagram Announce New Changes to Protect Users from Abuse
- Cybersmile, Instagram and Cosmopolitan Reunite to Unveil The Positivity Index 2021
- Twitch Introduce New Tools And Guidelines To Tackle Hate Speech And Harassment
- Cybersmile and Ten Toes Media Announce Partnership
- Twitter’s Head of U.K. Public Policy Katy Minshall Talks All Things Safety
- Experts Issue Doomscrolling Warning With Increasing Concerns For Mental Health
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Learning Modules Focused On Getting The Most From Instagram
- Cybersmile Publish National Digital Wellbeing 2020 Report Focussing On Young People’s Technology-Related Wellbeing
- Twitter Announce New Feature To Tackle Misinformation After Successful Trial
- Cybersmile Launch ‘Think Twice before You Type’ Campaign To Mark Safer Internet Day
- Snapchat Announce The Launch Of Snap Minis To Offer Mental Health Support To Users
- Instagram And Facebook Announce Ban On All Content Promoting LGBT Conversion Therapy
- Cybersmile Help Center
- Managing An Eating Disorder During Lockdown
- Facebook And Instagram Announce New Focus To Combat Racism Online
- Cybersmile Announce Brandon Hendrickson As Official Cybersmile Ambassador
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- Australian Government put Big Tech Companies on Notice to End Online Bullying
- Cybersmile Publishes National Millennial And Gen Z Study Of Attitudes And Perspectives Toward Social Media Platforms
- Snapchat Announce New Mental Health Intervention Feature
- Gaming Help Center
- Study Links Negative Effects Of Cyberbullying With Serious Mental Health Problems Among Young People
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer