Doug Martin aka FaZe Censor Talks Cyberbullying, Trash Talk and Competitive Call Of Duty
Doug Martin is a content creator and 4x Call of Duty champion. If you are affected by an online related problem or anything touched on within this interview, follow the links throughout the article to our various support services or click on the blue logo icon at the bottom right of the screen to start using Cybersmile Assistant, our smart AI support assistant.
What was your first computer or console?
My first console was the Nintendo 64.
Did you have a favorite game when you were younger?
Where do you think the line should be drawn between healthy competitive behavior and outright abuse when gaming?
As long as you stick to trash talk inside the game and do not excessively curse then it’s all fair game IMO.
Have you ever been personally targeted with abuse online?
Yes. It’s part of being an influencer. There’s always critics and hackers.
How did it make you feel, how did you deal with it?
Sometimes it sucks, but overall I’m blessed to be in the position I am in and I can’t complain.
What would your message be to somebody who thinks cyberbullying and online abuse is a joke?
It’s not a joke. It’s real, and words hurt people. Use your time to uplift people and encourage, don’t put people down.
What do you think can be done to reduce the problem of online abuse?
I think it starts with school, then the influencers because they set trends.
What advice would you have for someone being targeted by bullies?
Keep your head high and believe in yourself. It’s easy to deal with criticism when you respect yourself.
Do you think social media is a blessing or a curse?
It’s a blessing. It made our lives so much easier. We just need to be cautious with what we post.
Which words of advice would you have for someone who wants to follow their dreams but is anxious about being bullied or ridiculed?
Who gives a damn what anybody else says! Do what you want. You only get one life.
What does the rest of this year and next year look like for Faze Censor? Is there anything exciting we should be aware of?
I’m going to make competitive Call of Duty the biggest and coolest thing on the planet.
We would like to say a MASSIVE thank you to Doug for this interview. For more information about Cybersmile and the work we do, please explore the recommendations below:
- Who Are Cybersmile?
- People We’ve Helped
- Cyberbullying And Online Abuse Help Center
- The Cybersmile Conversation (Allow a few seconds to load, but worth the wait!)
- World Leaders And Technology Companies Pledge To Fight Online Hate Speech
- New Studies Show That Gaming Can Boost Creativity And Relieve Stress
- Studies Reveal Stark Contrast Between Teenage Male And Female Cyberbullying Incidents
- Cybersmile Campaigns
- What We Do
- Cybersmile Gaming
- Catching Up With Zoe Sugg To Discuss Life Online
- Stop Cyberbullying Day 2019 Highlights
- Cybersmile And Rimmel Launch Groundbreaking AI Support Assistant
- Gaming Help Center
- Cybersmile Launch Interactive Digital Civility Learning Platform
- Understanding Social Media And Mental Health
- Cybersmile Wins Gold At Cannes Lions For Body Positivity Campaign
- Research Indicates That Violent Video Games Do Not Cause Violent Crime
- Corporate Partnership Program
- Cybersmile Newsroom
- Become A Cybersmile Sustainer